Engineer Scientist II - Distribution Operations, Planning, and Studies
Engineer/Scientist II for Distribution Planning, Operations, and Studies within the Power Delivery and Utilization (PDU) Sector.
- Performs modeling, simulation, and analytics based power system research related to transmission and distribution systems
- Supports the development of new algorithms, software solutions, and tools for identifying, integrating, and deploying least-cost solutions for modernizing T&D system planning and operations.
- Performs complex engineering/scientific analysis with moderate direction and supervision. Works directly with EPRI staff and moderate interaction with members and industry.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with customers, verbally and in writing, the technical work that is completed.
- Conducts technical searches and analyzes information in support of the project team
- May conduct independent research
- Assists Project/Program Managers in assessing customer needs, formulating technical approaches, preparing proposals, technical publications/papers, and making presentations.
Education Level and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experiencerequired.
- PreferredMS or PhD in ElectricalEngineering with Power System Emphasis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Present research externally
- Understand how work fits across technical area
- Requires supervision and guidance to conduct specific research tasks and complete projects
- Works closely with contractors or staff to complete project research
- May participate in multiple projects
- Individual contributor
- Must have satisfied requirements of entry level engineer/scientist and have 2-3 years of engineeringexperience or comparable work/educational experiencerequired.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Knowledge of power system fundamentals, specifically distribution systems
- Extensive experience conducting power systems analytical studies with an emphasis on modeling and simulation.
- Modeling of distribution systems/networks, as well as DER (wind, solar, and electric vehicles) for high-penetration analysis
- Experience with OpenDSS, CYME, Synergi, Milsoft, preferred.
- Experience with software coding (Matlab, Python, C++, Delphi, Java, etc.)
- Must be able to exercise judgment, diligence, and attention to detail and demonstrate an aptitude for carrying out responsible technical assignments
- Interest to support diverse projects that involve modeling, simulation, and analytics of power systems and new technologies
- Works effectively as part of a team.