The RF Engineer is responsible for the engineering design and system performance of the T-Mobile Network. Supports coverage, capacity, and performance planning on the T-Mobile network. Participates in development, testing, and validation of RF feature plan proposals. Follows implementation guidelines for approved new features and technologies. Applies engineering principles to design and optimize network coverage, performance, and capacity. May be required to lead a team of engineers on specific projects. Serves as a technical subject matter expert and may be required to do in depth analysis of new features and technologies.
This position is responsible for the engineering design and system performance of the T-Mobile Network. Applies engineering principles to design and optimize network coverage, performance, and capacity. May be required to lead a team of engineers on specific projects. Serves as a technical subject matter expert and may be required to do in depth analysis of new features and technologies. Mentors Associate Radio Frequency (RF) Engineers for technical growth. Works on technical assignments that are semi routine in nature but recognizes that need for occasional deviation from accepted practice. Normally follows established procedures on routine work, requires instructions only on new assignments.
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
• Performs advanced monitoring and review of radio network key performance indicators (KPI). Participates in the development of inter and intra team processes for system performance. Serves as KPI subject matter expert in order to improve network performance. Monitors statistical network performance data. Collects, processes and reviews drive test data. Works with the operations team to troubleshoot site network problems. Reviews data to assist with determining cause of faulty equipment. Addresses customer and employee complaints received through information analyzer and other applications. Works with other RF engineers to evaluate and resolve issues. Updates databases with resolution or actions taken. Participates with federal, state and local jurisdictions to ensure regulatory and zoning compliance.
• Performs coverage, capacity, and performance activities. Participates in developing internal process used for radio network design. Participates with federal, state and local jurisdictions to ensure regulatory and zoning compliance. Performs development, testing, and validation of RF feature plan proposals. Provides input in defining implementation guidelines for approved new features and technologies.
• Effectively applies RF principles to performance activities. Serves as subject matter expert on emerging technology theory.
• Supports engineering and technical staff. Provides engineering support to Sales/Customers by responding to customer and employee network related complaints. Provides input to management on tactical and strategic issues. Acts as developer and resource for market, regional, and national planning and performance tools (as applicable).
• Solid understanding of RF propagation principles, cellular theory, RF engineering tools and antenna theory
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
• Excellent computer skills (UNIX, Oracle Database, Excel macros and SQL programming a plus)
• Strong MapInfo skills
• Strong problem solving/troubleshooting skills
• Must be self-motivated, able to work under pressure, and multitask
• Must be able to prioritize work schedule and workload
• 3-5 years of experience within the wireless industry troubleshooting, optimizing, and designing wireless communication sites
• Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission
• Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
• Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team
• Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills
• Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs
• Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
• Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area
• 4+ years Working in and around the radio frequency industry designing, optimizing, and troubleshooting network issues
• 3+ years of experience with various drive test units
• 3+ years of experience with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) filings and zoning meetings
• 3+ years of experience analyzing data and creating coverage solutions
• Position may require work day, afternoon and graveyard shifts, weekend shifts, on-call, and Holidays
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or an equivalent technical degree.
• May require up to 20% of domestic overnight travel within the region, and occasional trips to the Bellevue Headquarters.
Additional general or physical requirements
• Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods.
• Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods
• This position requires working with a computer (keyboard/mouse), telephone, and/or calculator; or, other repetitive use of hands.