Primary Job Functions:
We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s Energy Services unit seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar services through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. Members of the Energy Services team have a direct hand in offsetting carbon emissions from traditional energy sources by ensuring that our customers’ power plants are available and performing at optimal levels. Every year, power plants managed by First Solar produced over 11 terawatt hours of clean, renewable energy. This is equivalent to powering 1.2 million homes and removing 1.7 million cars from the road.
The Energy Services team looks for individuals who enjoy contributing to an innovative, forward-thinking team, are effective problem solvers, data and results driven and continuously look for ways to improve processes to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience
- 1 years minimum PV systems or related power generation equipment knowledge preferred
- Practical and applicable knowledge of Inverters
- Practical and applicable knowledge of Medium Voltage (MV) and High Voltage (HV) power distribution equipment
- Experience with Protective Relays preferred
- Experience with Substation Transformer Testing & Maintenance
- Experience with HV & MV Circuit Breaker Testing & Maintenance
- Experience with HV & MV Cable and Cable Testing, Maintenance, Terminations & Repairs
- Practical and applicable knowledge of DC Systems, Wiring & Applications
- Experience with SCADA & Controls preferred
- Practical and applicable knowledge of Tracker Systems & Communications preferred
- Working knowledge of Commercial Power Plant Operations
- Engineering Degree or equivalent experience (Preference - Electrical, Power Generation or Electronics)
- Professional Engineer preferred
- Ability to take direction, identify problems, develop solutions, and conduct analysis independently and in collaboration with others
- Developing and maintaining records, logs, and other forms of documentation
- Demonstrated ability to write and translate field reports, and identify issues
- Perform Systems Integration & Communication Validation
- Advanced knowledge of AC and DC electrical theory and application
- Advanced knowledge of power inverters and transformers along with common failures and testing
- Expert knowledge of maintenance practices including Root Cause Analysis and have the ability to advocate changes in maintenance process and / or equipment design
- Ability to work in difficult situations
- Available for 24-hour on-call duty to meet customer requirements
- May be required to travel regularly to the remote sites and other locations for equipment troubleshooting, testing, training, factory acceptance testing, etc.
- Experience with SCADA software, PLCs, and data loggers
- Ability to use SEL logic to validate/revise settings of SEL relay products
- Comprehensive understanding of Engineering Drawings: Electrical, Instrumentation & Control
- Safety Advocate – NFPA 70E, OSHA 10
- Computer network & architecture skills, IP addressing, subnetting
- Prior Project/Program Management experience, preferred
- Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Write and translate field reports (project status/progress), identify issues, and generate action plans to present to interdepartmental personnel
- Develop integration solutions for all balance-of-system components encountered at PV plants
- Analyze DAS data and implement corrective actions based on identified issues; work with others (mostly remote) as to the appropriate action to take to resolve identified issues.
- Evaluate equipment failures and recommend changes to work practices or design as necessary to improve equipment reliability.
- Provide optimized, well organized, clear, and concise reports used in the review and development of budget estimating and validation, current and future labor needs, spare parts requirements, and any other analysis or development needs.
- Interact regularly with vendors implement software solutions and resolve operating issues; provide clear and detailed system information and provide instruction and direction for issue resolution and completion
- Develop and execute development schedules; including material and resources to meet project deadlines
- Understanding of control system commissioning procedures with the ability to execute those
- Ensure proper communications and telemetry operations in accordance with required checkout procedures
- Adhere to all First Solar and Site Safety requirements; demonstrates safety awareness
- Travel domestically and internationally, as needed (0-15%)
- Job Description is subject to change at any time
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)