ArcelorMittal Global Research & Development Center in East Chicago, IN is seeking a Product Development Engineer to support development of hot rolled products for Energy and Industry portfolios. Main functions include facilitating communications between R&D and hot mill Operations/Quality, participating in organizing, conducting and following up on plant trials as well as analyzing trial results. The position will be based in Calvert, Al, but travel to East Chicago will be required.
- Close interaction with R&D and Hot Mill Operations and Quality to coordinate industrial trials. Make sure that relevant mill personnel are aligned, necessary steps taken to facilitate efficient & smooth trials.
- Understand the issues related to trials and/or production and communicate them to the rest of the Product Development team; help with resolving any issues; attend trials in person to ensure good execution.
- Deep understanding of capabilities and limitations of a hot mill and how it may affect trials.
- Work with mill personnel to ensure that trial coils are tested quickly and correctly – coordinate thru coil properties & analyze them.
- Write timely reports and make effective presentations to internal and external clients as well as to colleagues
- Assist in developing Standard Processing Instructions, generating Product & Process FMEAs and report writing.
Minimum Education Requirements:
Master’s Degree in Materials/Metallurgical Engineering.
Preferred Education Requirements:
PhD in Materials/Metallurgical Engineering
- In depth knowledge of metallurgical concepts pertaining to hot rolling process of line pipe and high strength steels.
- Significant experience in melting, casting, hot rolling of steel as well as in operations, quality assurance, product development in the steel mill environment.
- Ability to collect, interpret and analyze relevant manufacturing data to assist product development team.
- Ability to support concepts of mill upgrades to improve product robustness.
- Proficient in timely technical reporting.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary for team collaboration.
- Motivated, innovative, self-starter who can independently execute investigations of complicated issues.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in working in steel mill.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability and willingness to work and interact well with mill personnel and staff with shared responsibilities and resources.
- Ability to coordinate mill trials; identify practical roadblocks and facilitate successful counter measures
- Strong Project management skills; will have demonstrated the ability to push projects over the finish line with sound planning and persistent execution;
- Motivated, self-starter who can initiate and execute R&D project plans internally and externally with minimal supervision
- Ability to organize and participate in technical seminars or conferences for large groups.