The Engineering Manager coordinates activities of the Engineering Department in design, process, projects, development, systems, and continuous improvement.
The Engineering Manager provides planning, direction, and coordination for all engineering activities while achieving optimum use of employees, equipment, materials, and facilities.
The Engineering Manager both plans and establishes engineering projects andbudgets at all LIFOAMlocations. The Engineering Managerreports to the Senior Operations Manager for the LIFOAM business unit in the Process Solutions Division of Newell Brands.
- Ability to lead major capacity improvement, cost savings and automation projects from inception to completion.
- Responsible for development of AFE's including scope, cost savings justification/ROI, capital and expense costs, project timelines.
- Controls all project spending in line with budgeted AFE. Closes out projects in timely fashion. Accounts for newly created assets.
- Responsible for equipment design and specifications for manufacturing and ancillary equipment. Solicits vendor quotes and negotiates best overall value taking into account pricing, payment terms, equipment reliability, warranties, parts and service.
- Meets with local municipalities, architects and engineers to understand permit requirements and secure permits in a timely fashion.
- Leads multi-functional project teams (engineering, operations, IT, real estate, finance, EHS&S, quality, etc). Delegates tasks to make the best use of resources and routinely follows-up to ensure project keeps pace with timelines.
- Communicates status upward and with internal customers to ensure input is incorporated into project to achieve best overall results.
- Thinks like an operator to execute projects that will achieve or surpass expectations for results such as safety, quality, efficiency, cost and ease of maintenance.
- Knowledge and application of lean manufacturing tools such as Kaizen events, SMED for rapid changeover improvement, TPM/preventive maintenance, one piece flow, process centerlines, value stream mapping, etc.
- Leads continuous improvement initiatives across the operations.
- Possesses and develops expertise in EPS mold manufacturing, including pre-expansion, utilities (steam, pneumatics, etc.) and presses.
- Develops expertise in other manufacturing processes to include polyurethane/ePUR, gel, block cutting and screen printing.
- Adept at training and inspiring others to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Supervise Others: No Travel: 25 - 50% Depending on project workload and project locations
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Industrial Engineering from a regionally accredited college or university required; MBA preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience along with LEAN manufacturing experience in a manufacturing environment required; five (5) years’ experiencepreferred.
- Practical work experience implementing process automation to achieve improved efficiencies, rates and cost savings required.
- Minimum of intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) required; advanced proficiency preferred.
- One or more of the following Professional Certifications arepreferred:
- Six Sigma – Black Belt
- LEAN Manufacturing
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- CompTIA Project +
- Professional Engineer (PE)
- Demonstrated understanding of various project management methodologies including Waterfall, Agile, and / or SCRUMpreferred.
- Systems experience – proficiency in one or more Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system required; proficiency with SAPpreferred.
- Proven track record of delivering projects on-time and under budget.
- Proven ability to lead LEAN initiative in a manufacturing environment and achieving outstanding results and cost savings.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, and presentation required.
- Proven ability to demonstrate high sense of urgency and appropriately prioritize projects and tasks.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Teamwork focus able to collaborate with other functions.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Sitting at workstation approximately 50 percent of work time. Standing and walking approximately 50 percent of work time.
- Must be able to travel between twenty-five and fifty percent (25 - 50%) of work time. Travel may take the form of plane, train, or automobile and may include overnight stays.
- Ability to work overtime or occasionally on weekends with short notice.
- Typical manufacturing environment with various manufacturing machines, palletized products and supplies, moving vehicles of various types, and a typical office environment with shelves overhead and above work surfaces.
- Located in or willing to relocate to Greenville, SC or to a LIFOAM plant – North Andover, MA; Belcamp, MD; St. Petersburg, FL; Rome, GA; Vernon, CA; Huntington Beach, CA; Waxahachie, TX; or otherlocations in the future.