Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 38 times regionally over the past decade…
…What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced licensed Engineer IV – Electrical Engineer, responsible for a broad range of detailed engineering designs for high voltage substation and transmission projects through 500 kV. The position is open to be located in our Minneapolis-MN, San Antonio-TX or Fargo-ND offices. Candidate will be responsible for working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design packages and requirements. They will be responsible for performing a broad scope of engineering assignments of advanced difficulty requiring knowledge in engineering related disciplines. They shall be capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria by using judgment in making adaptations and modifications and providing interpretations and conclusions.
- Duties include the development of the design basis philosophy, substation physical electrical design, and other engineering aspects on substation and transmission design projects.
- Works independently with direction from Engineering Lead, Principal Engineer, or Engineering Manager.
- Comfortable interfacing and presenting to multiple stakeholders (e.g. customer decision makers, project teams, etc.).
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, Project Managers, and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects.
- Acts as a lead technical designer on 3 - 4 large design projects annually across 69Kv and above scopes.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings and sign off on test reports on major equipment from manufacturers.
- Provide technical support to personnel/cross functional teams for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction.
- Collect and evaluate data to provide recommended courses of action.
- Mentor, coach and develop junior team members.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding of discipline specific technical designs, QA/QC procedures, and engineering policies.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and Mortenson QA/QC procedures.
- Creates detailed designs aligned with our customer requirements and Mortenson’s best practice standards.
- Fully competent in the subject matter or the functional areas of assignments.
- Requires professional design experience to assure competence as a professional engineer.
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Review of engineering work produces a first-time review rate of documents at 95% correct.
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC.
- Performs data analysis and advanced engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects.
- Develops and evaluates the technical requirements for fabrication and construction tender packages.
- Has design knowledge of software packages: CYMCAP, CDEGS, AutoCAD, Microstation, etc.
- Initiates and maintains contacts with key engineers in other companies, suppliers and industry associations to maintain their technical expertise.
- Has a firm understanding in principles of Project Management.
- Graduate of four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE preferred) or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with the curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- Experienced in engineering theories and principles.
- Experienced in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
- Minimum seven to ten (7-10) years related work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Prior experience in the T&D industry
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.