- Own the battery pack development for Zero Motorcycles from concept to production handoff.
- Evaluate the system and the battery to determine all necessary considerations to meet the requirements from the battery and for the system. Perform simulations, analysis, and DFMEA to ensure that the system meets the batteries needs and the battery fulfils the systems requirements. Specify and conduct testing to ensure that the design criteria has been realized in completed design.
- Work with Electrical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Powertrain Engineers, and management to understand battery pack requirements for system performance as well as communicate back proper expectations of battery performance and its effect on system operation.
- Develop battery models for integration into firmware and work with firmware engineering team to develop industry leading battery SoH monitoring and performance characteristics.
- Work closely with our current battery supplier to co-design cell interconnectivity, cell box packaging, connector interfaces, thermal management, and other battery technology.
- Stay informed on latest battery development, pricing, research, vendors, manufacturers, pricing, and manufacturing techniques. Including attending conferences and expo’s
- Provide direction to the engineering team on cell technology, battery advancement roadmap, and pack design.
- Work with other electrical engineers, connector/harness engineers, mechanical engineers, and chemical engineers to design battery packs. This includes writing specifications, coordinating design of the many elements, proving feasibility through early testing, confirming full functionality of representative design, testing durability of design, testing for regulatory compliance, and insuring manufacturing engineering can build the design in production.
- Work closely with the systems team on battery safety features for product as well as production.
- Work with the test group on cell/pack testing by writing clear and concise test specifications/procedures, assist with setting up the tests as needed, and evaluate/report test results.
- Train and advise the company on battery safety measures.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent technical Degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Eight or more years’ experience in product development environment, and five or more of those years on battery systems