Purpose of the Engineer IV, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events s.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
Defines, designs, and implements wide and local area network facilities utilizing standard network engineering principles and concepts of routing, efficiency, redundancy, availability, security, and scalability and responsible for new systems planning and implementation and supports and manages escalations
- Works with management and engineering staff to determine future network architecture and planning requirements, and assures that needs are met by proposed future designs and long term plans.
- Defines KPIs for operational management, and provides and updates operational documentation, training, and network drawings.
- Mentors engineers, administrators, and technicians