Purpose of the Engineer IV, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events s.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
Defines, designs, and implements wide and local area network facilities utilizing standard network engineering principles and concepts of routing, efficiency, redundancy, availability, security, and scalability and responsible for new systems planning and implementation and supports and manages escalations
- Works with management and engineering staff to determine future network architecture and planning requirements, and assures that needs are met by proposed future designs and long term plans.
- Defines KPIs for operational management, and provides and updates operational documentation, training, and network drawings.
- Mentors engineers, administrators, and technicians
Additional Job Requirements: This is an advanced level position and requires a high level of specific discipline expertise and the ability to make technical decisions independently on significant engineering problems and provide technical direction and resolutions to ensure service level commitments are maintained. Required to have knowledge of other Engineering disciplines and will be expected to perform highly complex and diverse duties under challenging deadlines and operating constraints. Must be capable of performing the role of project engineer for major complex projects and provide technical leadership, oversight and mentoring to junior engineers. Considered the subject matter expert and possess an advanced knowledge of how technologies integrate across multiple computing platforms. Expected to design, plan, analyze, and implement complex solutions that integrate projects and operational services across several of the company’s business departments. Will review documentation from junior engineers and provide final design specifications to ensure seamless integration into the operational environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of standard network engineering concepts.
- Expert knowledge with firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications, and related technologies.
- Expert diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Expert knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols, and routing.
- Expert understanding of standard engineering concepts such as high availability, redundancy, reliability and testing, security, and standards.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Excellent ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Excellent budget and time management skills to manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to lead other engineers on large complex projects.
- Ability to serve as a technical expert in a particular discipline or disciplines within the company.
- Excellent time management skills to smoothly and professionally manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally
- Must have a thorough knowledge and working experience in network design and configuration utilizing Juniper’s and/or Cisco's Service provider product lines.
- Must have high-level knowledge of Windows, Server Virtualization, and/or Linux operating systems.