Engineer III, Wireless Network RF applies engineering principles to design wireless network coverage, performance and capacity. Responsible for engineering design of LTE, UMTS/HSPA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, WiFi and CDMA/EFDO radio Networks and functions as a technical expert within the company with respect to wireless technologies/specifications. Will support internal business units personnel engaged in the operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment and systems in field installations.
Position’s Customer(s): All of GCI’s business units, customers, and company subsidiaries.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
- • Performs cell site dimensioning and configuration evaluation based on vendor offering.
- • Participates in developing internal process used for radio network design, ensuring with regulatory and zoning compliance
- • Troubleshoot site network problems
- • Oversee/manages capacity requirement of radio network
- • Identifying causes of RF interference and troubleshooting
- • Provided input to management regarding tactical and strategic issues
- • Mentor junior Engineers
- • Functions as Developer and resource for planning and performance tools as needed.
Additional Job Requirements: At a senior engineer level, will be expected to perform highly complex and diverse design, plans, analysis, and implementation of networks responsible for the engineering design and system performance of the GSM and UMTS Radio Network. Appling engineering principles to design and optimize network coverage, performance, and capacity. May be required to lead a team of engineers on specific projects. Serves as a technical subject matter expert and may be required to do in depth analysis of new features and technologies. Mentors junior engineers for technical growth. Will review and provide final engineering design specifications and service requirements. Must be able to make independent engineering decisions and provide technical direction and resolutions. Receives clear direction on assignment objectives, complex features and possible solutions. Must be able to function in the role of Project Engineer for large projects. Capable of coordinating, directing, assisting and providing technical direction to junior engineers and supporting technicians.
Essential Duties for this position:
- Performs advanced monitoring and review of radio network Key Performance Indicators (KPI). Participates in the development of inter and intra team processes for system performance. Serves as KPI subject matter expert in order to improve network performance. Monitors statistical network performance data. Collects processes and re views drive test data. Effectively applies RF principles to performance activities. Serves as subject matter expert on GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/LTE and emerging technology theory. Supports engineering and technical staff.
- Works with the operations team to troubleshoot site network problems. Reviews data to assist with determining cause of faulty equipment. Addresses customer and employee complaints received through the Cell Desk. Works with other RF Engineers to evaluate and resolve issues. Updates databases with resolution or actions taken.
- Performs coverage design, capacity, and performance activities. Participates in developing internal process used for radio network design. Participates with federal, state and local jurisdictions to ensure regulatory and zoning compliance. Familiarity with FCC regulations with respect to emission requirements and limits such as the FCC OET Bulletin 65
- Performs development, testing, and validation of RF feature plan proposals. Provides input in defining implementation guidelines for approved new features and technologies. Acts as developer and resource for planning and performance tools (as applicable). Provides input to management on tactical and strategic issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly developed understanding of RF propagation principles, cellular theory, RF engineering tools and antenna theory
- Advanced knowledge of Ericsson GSM/UMTS/LTE platforms and product lines and their 3GPP specifications
- Advanced knowledge of Ericsson OSS, ENIQ STATS and ENIQ EVENTS
- Advanced knowledge of RF propagation/prediction tools such as Mentum Planet
- Strong knowledge of drive test validation tools such as TEMS Discovery/Investigation
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (UNIX, Oracle Database, Excel macros and SQL programming a plus)
- Strong problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Strong MapInfo and Mentum Planet skills
- Must be self-motivated, able to work under pressure, and multitask
- Must be able to prioritize work schedule and workload
- Expected to provide technical leadership, oversight, and mentoring to other engineers.
- Minimum of three years of relevant engineering experience required in telecommunications; in wireless industry, troubleshooting, optimizing, and designing wireless communications sites.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications or related field is required.
- In addition to minimum experience required, a combination of relevant education and work experience sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications highly valued and may contribute toward education requirements. P.E. license desired