Engineer III - Structural (Bridge Inspection Team Leader Bridge Design)
The time is right to join HNTB! Our Westbrook office has an immediate opening for a motivated and experienced Structural Engineer with NBIS Bridge Inspection Team Leader qualifications. The successful candidate for this position will be primarily responsible for planning, coordinating and leading highway and railroad bridgeinspections on conventional and complex structures throughout the State of Maine. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs, including the oversight of inspection team members, client outreach and coordination, proposal development, the completion of bridge load ratings, and assisting in the delivery of bridge design assignments on an as-needed basis.
Within a given discipline, is fully competent to complete engineering-related tasks including research, development, calculations, design and delivery with minimal direction. On tasks basis, is responsible for preparation and completion of discipline engineering efforts that are responsive to project needs. Coordinates preparation of design details, plans, and drawings within assigned task areas.
- Responsible for completion of discipline engineering project elements such as reports, designs, specifications and plans.
- Responsible for coordination and productivity of subordinates. Provides technical guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Works closely with other disciplines and multi-discipline projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Review previous inspection reports and information.
- Schedule and coordinate field operations with subcontractors and subconsultants.
- Perform and oversee the field inspection of conventional and complex bridge structures as an Inspection Team Leader.
- Lead team members in field and office tasks.
- Identify critical findings during field inspection.
- Document inspection findings including the collection of measurements, development of field sketches, and collection of digital photography.
- Operate personnel lift equipment, climb ladders, install traffic control devices and other work in support of inspection activities.
- Prepare inspection proposals including the development of scopes and hour estimates.
- Prepare engineering reports documenting inspection findings.
- Perform engineering calculations, structural analysis and prepare CADD drawings as needed.
- Other duties as may be assigned to meet business needs.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering
5 years relevant experience
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related field from a 4-yr accredited college or university with 5+ years of bridge experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of related bridge inspection experience.
- Successful completion of the National Highway Institutes 2-week training course “Safety Inspection of In-Service Bridges”
- Professional Engineer licensure preferred.
- Strong technical writing skills
- Physically capable of performing continuous field work including, working at heights and in confined spaces, carrying ladders and gear, working in adverse weather conditions, etc.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), and experience with engineering design packages such as AutoCAD.
- OSHA 10 HR Certification
- Experience working with state and local transportation agencies.
Job ID 0418-18412