Purpose of the Engineer III, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Designs and implements new solutions and continues improvement of the current network and/or systems facilities.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events s.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
- Mentors junior engineers and technicians.
Additional Job Requirements: This is a senior level position, and requires the ability to perform highly complex and diverse duties under deadlines and operating constraints. Design, plan, analyze, and implement networks delivering services across multiple company business departments. Must be able to make independent engineering decisions and provide technical direction for resolution. Responsible for review and provide final engineering design specifications and service requirements. Receives clear direction on assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions; supervisory assistance on unusual problems. Capable of performing project engineer on large projects with the ability of mentoring, coordinating, directing, assisting, and providing technical direction to junior engineers and technicians.
Specific Duties of the IP Telephony Engineer:
- This engineer will be responsible for the design, configuration, administration, troubleshooting and maintenance of new and existing Cisco IP telephony systems for GCI-Business clients.
- This engineer will function as the SME for IP Telephony and will represent GCI-Business’s Industry Solutions at client technical meetings.
- This position will be responsible for working with Project Managers to ensure accurate site/network surveys are performed, Bills of Materials are generated and IP Telephony systems are programmed, installed, and successfully turned over to clients per project timelines and budgets.
- The IP Telephony engineer will also be expected to work on other projects that may not be IP Telephony specific.
- This engineer must be able to create and maintain documentation of system designs, assessment reports, and standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of standard network engineering concepts.
- Expert knowledge with firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications and related technologies.
- Expert diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Expert knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols, and routing.
- Comprehensive understanding of standard engineering concepts such as high availability, redundancy, reliability and testing, security, and standards.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Superior ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Superior time management skills to smoothly and professionally manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally
- Must have a thorough knowledge and working experience in network design and configuration utilizing Juniper’s and/or Cisco's Service provider product lines.
- Must have high-level knowledge of Windows, Server Virtualization, and/or Linux operating systems.
Technical IP Telephony Experience:
- Cisco Unified Call / Communications Manager and Session Manager Edition (SME)
- Cisco Unity Connection and Call Handlers
- Cisco Contact Center Express (UCCX)
- Cisco Emergency Responder / CER / E911 Services, including integration with RedSky Technologies
- Voice Gateways and SRST
- Analog voice gateways, e.g. VG202/4, VG224, VG310
- Webex / CWMS
- Network services, e.g. PRI circuits, MPLS, SIP, analog 1FBs
- Jabber & WebEx clients
- Videoconferencing, Telepresence, Conductor, TMS, Spark
- CME / Storm Kits
- Network Tools, such as Cisco Prime Collaboration, Wireshark packet analysis, Variphy Call Detail Records (CDR)
- Telephony endpoint devices: 7962, 7965, 8831, 8861, etc.
- CCNA Collaboration
- CCNP Collaboration (Highly Desirable)