Less than 5 years
Posted 149 days ago
Engineer III, IP Engineering is expected to provide engineering design and implementation services necessary to support the company’s IP/MPLS core network, carrier Ethernet transport systems, cellular data core systems, and/or video transmission services.
Will be required to provide technical leadership and escalation support for various operations and engineering groups as well as technical training and mentorship to team members.
Requires excellent communication skills to facilitate collaboration with various internal departments to ensure the reliable operation and growth of a converged and scalable carrier network.
Position’s Customer(s): All GCI business units and some external customers.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
· Test new technologies and service architectures in lab environments
· Plan, design, implement, and document new network implementations
· Complete Engineering Estimates and Installation Packages as needed
· Provide escalation and troubleshooting support for operations teams
· Provide mentorship of more junior staff to support the growth of technical knowledge and experience
Additional Job Requirements: As a senior level engineer position, must have a comprehensive understanding of the company’s IP/MPLS core network and possess the skills and motivation required to independently complete assigned engineering projects with no assistance and/or guidance.
Must have advanced project management skills necessary to manage multiple simultaneous projects while maintaining business deliverables for timeline and budget.
Must have advanced troubleshooting skills to assist operations and engineering groups in resolving any network issues that may arise. Must be able to function in the role of Project Engineer for large projects. Capable of coordinating, directing, assisting, and providing technical direction to junior engineers and supporting technicians from various departments across the company.
Essential Duties for this position:
• Plan, design, implement, and document new network implementations
• Provide mentorship of more junior staff to support the growth of technical knowledge and experience
• Test new technologies and service architectures in lab environments
• Provide escalation and troubleshooting support for operations teams
• Complete Engineering Estimates and Installation Packages as needed
• Expert level understanding of standard engineering concepts such as high availability, redundancy, reliability, scalability, and security
• Strong ability to create and edit network drawings using Microsoft Visio application
• Expert experience with the configuration of Alcatel/Nokia, Cisco, Brocade, or Juniper routers and switches
• Expert understanding of routing protocols such as BGP, ISIS, OSPF, EIGRP, etc
• Advanced understanding of project management concepts
• Expert understanding of RSVP, LDP, and PIM
• Expert understanding of common transport technologies such as Ethernet, SONET, TDM, Fiber, Microwave, Satellite, WiFi, cellular, etc
• Extensive experience with layer-2 Ethernet technologies such as VLANs, STP, LACP, MC-LAG, etc
• Advanced analytic, strategic, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills
• Self-directed and motivated, highly focused on the company and departmental goals
• Creative and innovative problem solver
• Ability to work collaboratively together towards a common goal
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to Identify, report, and resolve technical problems in a manner that is consistent with established guidelines
• Minimum of three years of relevant and progressive technical experience in a Carrier Ethernet or large ISP environment.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications or related field is required.
• Or a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
• Graduate degree in Engineering may be substituted for professional engineering experience on a year for year basis.
• Certifications: Industry specific certifications relevant to the discipline are highly valued and may contribute toward education requirements. (Additional years of applicable experience or previous certification can be used to fulfill this requirement.)
o Cisco CCNP
o Nokia NRS II
o Brocade BCNP
o Juniper JNCIP