Analyzes requirements to meet demand and performance of products, systems and/or data. May perform engineering design evaluations including cost-effective utilization of materials as required. May design, develop, test and implement all components, equipment, and software within the functional area of the organization. Applies commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures to resolve a variety of issues. Works on problems of moderate scope. Exercises judgement to plan and accomplish goals. Identifies issues and provides resolution within the workgroup or to the customer. Normally receives general instruction on routine work and detailed instruction on new projects or assignments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop engineering designs and detailed engineering packages on per project basis.
- Provide technical expertise and support to various internal departments.
- Provide analysis of technical products, systems and/or data.
- Evaluate and manage the implementation of new technologies and processes in engineering.
- In depth knowledge of structure, applications and hierarchies of: DWDM, Ethernet, TDM, SONET, LAN, Frame Relay and ATM.
- Prepare Request for Proposals/Quotes (RFP/RFQ) to vendors and contracted services.
- Specify hardware as part of a project design.
- Research and prepare Engineering Design Packages.
- Write detailed Methods of Procedure (MOPs) for implementation and maintenance activity.
- Maintain accurate facility and equipment records, used by Engineering, Provisioning, Installation and Operations.
- Performs engineering design evaluations, including cost-effective utilization of materials as required.
- Independently design, develop, test and implement all components, equipment and software within the functional area of the organization.
- Understands the requiredelectrical/optical signal characteristics and physical electrical/optical interfaces.
- Familiar with uni-directional and bi-directional transmission system characteristics.
- Identifies issues and provides resolution within the workgroup or to the customer.
- Applies commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures to resolve routine issues
Ability to stay current with the economic and technological developments in the industry.
Good understanding of telecommunications industry; good knowledge of one or more engineering disciplines and vendor equipment. Good knowledge of accepted engineering practices. Computer software knowledge to include Microsoft Office, Custom Planning Tools and Databases. Good analytical skills; the ability to prioritize projects; good oral and written communication skills; and good interpersonal skills.
College degree in Engineering or a related field and 3-5 years professional level experience; or 7+ years professional level related Engineering/Technical experience; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Engineering/Technical experience required.