Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Engineer II – M&P Development Lab, Thermal Analysis Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Support multiple physical and chemical laboratories in a variety of capacities including sampling, sample prep, analysis, interpretation of results, and reporting
- Design experiments, perform analysis, interpret data, provide recommendations, and leadtasks in a thermal analysis laboratory including DSC, TMA, TGA, DMA, and thermal conductivity
- Perform routine and non-routine thermal analyses of a variety of materials and chemistries
- Support and lead investigations into new materials for use in aerospace applications
- Support and lead failure analysis (physical, chemical, and electrical) investigations utilizing various technologies, offer data-based root cause determination, and provide effective resolution to such investigations.
- Daily work effort is in support of existing test procedures and development of new test protocols.
- Program test equipment and data acquisition of various formats
- Develop and maintain Microsoft based databases with frequent development of macros
- Author reports, test procedures, presentations, and specifications
- Maintain and repair various test equipment and apparatuses
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the team, the department, the organization, the Strategic Business Units, the Strategic support units, and the company
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule
- Perform other duties as assigned
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Metallurgical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical filed is required plus 5 or more years related experience in a physical or chemical testing laboratory
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degreemust be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience performing instrumental thermal analysis investigations of materials, including direct experience with three or more of the following: DSC, TGA, DMA, TMA, and laser flash thermal conductivity
- Working experience in thermal analysis of thermoplastic and thermosetting polymers systems preferred.
- Working experience in thermal analysis of adhesives preferred
- Working experience with TA Instruments and Nesztche instrumentation a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of manufacture of electrical components or PWBs.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills is required
- Effective demonstrated creativity in failure investigations preferred
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.