Federal Signal has an immediate opening for an Engineer II at our University Park, Illinois facility. The successful incumbent will assist in making decisions on engineering problems and issues, requiring the use of advanced techniques and the adaption and extension of theories and practices of own field and related disciplines.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Strong C programming development (specifically with embedded microcontrollers, Microchip and ARM would be preferred).
- Knowledge of power supply design.
- Knowledge of audio/amplifier design.
- Knowledge of wireless digital communication (Bluetooth development preferred).
- Create schematic diagrams and develop strategies for creating electrical systems for new products and modifications for existing electrical systems.
- Conduct feasibility studies and prepare preliminary cost estimates of new products.
- Assist functional engineering groups when required for Electrical/software support and development for New Product Development (NPD) efforts.
- Documents product assembly and methods of operation while working with Technical Publications to create/revise Service Installation Instruction manuals.
- Works in a team environment and effectively communicates with other team members to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Writes/Processes ECR’s and product structures.
- Design, develop, build and test working prototypes of new products.
- Utilize basic automotive electrical assembly knowledge methods.
- Works with various engineering disciplines and departments to establish guidelines for future product designs.
- Value Analysis/Value Engineering for existing product lines.
- Works with Quality Control in approving vendor’s parts/components.
- Provide Electrical system support and testing for other departments.
- Willingness to travel upon occasion to aid in customer, sales, and product design efforts.
- PC Board Layout experience (PCB Editor 17.4, Capture CIS, OrCAD 16.4 Etc.).
- Ability to build prototype PC Boards (Soldering Skills).
- The applicant must have a BSEE or BSEET engineering degree from an accredited university.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of engineering experience.
- Knowledge of basic principles, theories, and concepts.
- General application of standard principles, theories, concepts, and techniques within field of specialization.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communications skills.