Provide engineering support to production, maintenance, project and technical departments to
ensure improvements in electrical system reliability and to resolve repetitive electrical-related problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Investigate electrical equipment failures as necessary to determine root cause and recommend appropriate solutions to reduce re-occurrence of, or eliminate (if possible) the cause of failure.
- Evaluate current preventative/predictive maintenance program to identify areas of improvement and implement changes as necessary.
- Review electrical system inspection/maintenancereports and initiate, or verify initiation of, corrective action to resolve problems discovered. Track resolution of outstanding issues to ensure they are completed in a timely manner.
- Review electrical system coordination studies, and protective device settings to ensure that they are providing equipment protection and selectivity and that they are properly documented.
- Participate actively in safety programs, promote safety rules and good housekeeping methods.
- Provide technical assistance to maintenance and production groups as required.
- Work with Project group to ensure adequate electrical design in compliance with the National Electric Code and accepted industry recommended practices such as NFPA, API, and IEEE.
- Provide electrical system maintenance work scopes to the maintenance group for major unit shutdowns.
- Initiate electrical system reliability projects to improve system reliability. Submit major capital reliability projects for budget with proper justification.
- Provide technical support of unit fire alarm systems and site radio systems.
- Initiate, coordinate, and review annual cathodic protection system surveys for underground pipelines. Review bi-monthly rectifier readings.
- Interface with Electrical Power Provider on operation, reliability, maintenance, and billing issues.
- Maintain technical expertise and keep abreast of electrical technology/design changes as they apply to potential plant equipment/production improvements.
- Perform the primary thinking encompassed by this job description.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Fully supports Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well as active participation on project teams.
- Any additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned.
- Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of others.
- Promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental issues or incidents to management.
- A current, valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card is required.
- B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline or equivalent progressive engineering experience
- 5 years of experience in a refinery, chemical or petrochemical plant performing engineering design responsibilities