Purpose of the Engineer II, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Designs and implements new solutions and continues improvement of the current network and/or systems facilities.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events s.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
- Mentors junior engineers and technicians.
Additional Job Requirements: Mid-level position for the engineering professional. Must have a comprehensive understanding of telecommunications operations and functions and be familiar with Engineering functions, aspects, applicable codes, and standards. Receives work assignments of a higher level but also receives general guidance, periodic review, and direction from the supervisor. Participates in larger projects and can be counted on to complete specific assigned engineering tasks on time and within budgeted costs. Capable of performing the role of project engineer for small projects; responsible for providing technical direction to junior engineers and technicians.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional knowledge of standard network engineering concepts.
- Exceptional knowledge with firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications and related technologies.
- Exceptional diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Expert knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols, and routing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Demonstrated time management skills to smoothly and professionally manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally