Engineer II, DevOps is responsible for the Development Operations (DevOps) function of the organization. Works collaboratively with Software Engineers and IT functions to develop, deploy, and maintain the organizations software and/or systems. DevOps function strives to achieve improved deployment frequency for faster time to market, shortened lead time between fixes, and quicker recovery time in the event of a new release failure. This is achieved though development of system automation, scaling efficient repeat-ability with Continuous Delivery methodologies, and building out technology providing effective reliability.
Position’s Customer(s): IT Service Teams, IT Continuous Delivery DevOps Enablement team, GCI Technology Leadership and GCI Enterprise.
Essential Duties of Position for all Levels:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and support of large scale infrastructure across multiple cloud solutions.
- Automate and streamline operations and processes to rapidly release reliable applications faster and more frequently.
- Build and maintain tools for deployment and testing in stable and scalable production environments.
Job Qualifications at all Levels:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a strong knowledge of agile methodology and continuous integration and delivery.
- Knowledge of orchestration tools for automated deployments
- Understanding of configuration management and software defined infrastructure
- Work as a project team member.
- Develop/Build IT solutions to meet business requirements.
- Install and configure solutions.
- Translates business and technical requirements in to test cases, test scenarios, and scripts.
- Develops and/or implements reusable components.
- Performs script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Adheres to standards and procedures.
- Reviews modules for quality assurance.
- Deploys new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Assist in production support.
- May troubleshoot existing IT systems to identify errors or deficiencies and develop solutions.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules and test activities/results.
- Communication: Create clear and concise written documentation for a variety of audiences, including developers, business analysts and business users. Use a blend of written communication techniques, including detailed documentation, diagramming and slide presentations. Take initiative to initiate communication among teams, including remote team members. Initiate and deliver presentations to internal groups on domain topics.
- Team Leadership: Lead by example on all fronts. Guide development teams in a manner that creates success and allows for future self sufficiency. Foster innovation and promote teamwork.
- People and Self-Management: Own and manage priorities and individual tasks without direct supervision. Take initiative and seek out opportunities. Assess and accept risks and learn from mistakes. Build and maintain effective working relationships with leadership, peers, customers and vendors. Work to resolve problem relationships directly.
- Customer Service: Provide a professional level of service to both external and internal customers. Take ownership and accountability of problems and facilitate finding a solution, involving other groups as necessary.
Scope of Position: IT Enterprise Performance Monitoring Engineer (EPM)
Will be responsible for developing, managing and supporting enterprise event and performance monitoring systems
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Configure thresholds and monitoring parameters for proactive and predictive monitoring
• Configure and run SNMP device discovery for network inventory and configuration items
• Configure pollers/collectors to gather data from different devices and locations
• Understanding and maintain licensing agreements for each platform and stay in compliance
• Work with solution vendor(s) to track issues and implement system changes per business requirements
• Analyze different types of data from various sources (log files, command line, etc.) to identify issues and formulate solutions
Additional Technical Experience:
• System management & monitoring software in a 24x7 enterprise production environment. Specifically in Assure1(Monolith) but any of the following would be useful as well Splunk, vROps, MS SCOM, Orion, CA, Open Manage, Monit, Nagios, or similar
• Programming and scripting. Specifically Perl but any of the following could be comparable: C, C#, C++, Java, SQL, Shell Scripting, PowerShell, Python
• Operating Systems. Linux, specify RHEL/CentOS, Windows; Cisco IOS
• Web service frameworks- Apache and SOAP protocol or similar
• Database familiarity- MariaDB (MySQL), MS SQL
• Active Directory
• Virtualization concepts (VMWare,vRA, VRO, Citrix)
• Network concepts and technology (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, WINS, VPN, SNMP, Syslog)
• IP fundamentals, IP subletting, IPv4 and IPv6 protocol use and troubleshooting
• Understanding of L2 switching as well as L3 forwarding and routing protocols
• Security concepts and technology (Patching, CarbonBlack, etc.)
• Ticketing/tracking tools. Preferred Jira, but any of the following would be beneficial: CA SDM, Remedy or similar
Additional Job Requirements: This is an advanced technical position requiring the ability to work independently performing moderate to complex duties and in a team member role working under deadlines and operating constraints. Must have experience to provide functional/technical guidance; development and implementation of software defined infrastructure, automate tasks, and the following duties in addition to previous Level Definition requirements:
- • Works on moderate to complex tasks in support of one or more projects.
- • Works independently on small projects.
- • Increased skill in multiple technical environments
- • Creates and shares development estimates and operational requirements to enable accurate planning with realistic timelines.
- • May serve as a liaison between client partners, IT, and vendors in coordination with project managers to provide technical solutions that address user needs.
- • Analyze client operations to understand their strengths and weaknesses to uncover opportunities for improvements.
- • Participates Integrating solutions with other applications and platforms outside the framework.
- • Codes and documents custom test automation frameworks.
- • Maintains new and existing object reference files.
- • Builds automated deployments using configuration management technology.
- • Documents and completes knowledge transfer to production support.
- • Works with Release Management to ensure modules are production-ready.
- • Validates deployments.
- • Assists in establishing requirements and automation for routine maintenance.
- • Evaluate existing applications and platforms and provide recommendations for improving performance.
- • Works with vendors to resolve problems and develop solutions.
- • Participates in development of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- • Develops user guides and training documentation for systems.
- • Evaluates new application packages and tools.
- • Provides technical coaching and mentoring to less-experienced team members.
- • A minimum of two (2) to four (4) years experience required in any combination of the following:
- o Experience in Telecommunications or Computer Sciences/IT field.
- o Experience working in applications, systems, or IT operations.
- o Working knowledge of two or more programming language.
- o Experience with Automation Tools
- o Comfort with frequent incremental code, testing, and deployment.
- o Demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills.
- • High School diploma or equivalent required.
- • Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, engineering or related field required.
- • In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year-for-year basis.
- • Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.