*This position can work from a GCI office in Anchorage, AK, Seattle, WA, Portland, OR or Denver, CO, and may be eligible for remote teleworking for the right candidate.
Engineer II, DevOps is responsible for the Development Operations (DevOps) function of the organization. Works collaboratively with Software Engineers and IT functions to develop, deploy, and maintain the organizations software and/or systems. DevOps function strives to achieve improved deployment frequency for faster time to market, shortened lead time between fixes, and quicker recovery time in the event of a new release failure. This is achieved though development of system automation, scaling efficient repeat-ability with Continuous Delivery methodologies, and building out technology providing effective reliability.
Position’s Customer(s): IT Service Teams, IT Continuous Delivery DevOps Enablement team, GCI Technology Leadership and GCI Enterprise.
Essential Duties of Position for all Levels:
- · Responsible for the design, implementation, and support of large scale infrastructure across multiple cloud solutions.
- · Automate and streamline operations and processes to rapidly release reliable applications faster and more frequently.
- · Build and maintain tools for deployment and testing in stable and scalable production environments.
Job Qualifications at all Levels:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a strong knowledge of agile methodology and continuous integration and delivery.
- Knowledge of orchestration tools for automated deployments
- Understanding of configuration management and software defined infrastructure
- Work as a project team member.
- Develop/Build IT solutions to meet business requirements.
- Install and configure solutions.
- Translates business and technical requirements in to test cases, test scenarios, and scripts.
- Develops and/or implements reusable components.
- Performs script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Adheres to standards and procedures.
- Reviews modules for quality assurance.
- Deploys new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Assist in production support.
- May troubleshoot existing IT systems to identify errors or deficiencies and develop solutions.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules and test activities/results.
- Communication: Create clear and concise written documentation for a variety of audiences, including developers, business analysts and business users. Use a blend of written communication techniques, including detailed documentation, diagramming and slide presentations. Take initiative to initiate communication among teams, including remote team members. Initiate and deliver presentations to internal groups on domain topics.
- Team Leadership: Lead by example on all fronts. Guide development teams in a manner that creates success and allows for future self sufficiency. Foster innovation and promote teamwork.
- People and Self-Management: Own and manage priorities and individual tasks without direct supervision. Take initiative and seek out opportunities. Assess and accept risks and learn from mistakes. Build and maintain effective working relationships with leadership, peers, customers and vendors. Work to resolve problem relationships directly.
- Customer Service: Provide a professional level of service to both external and internal customers. Take ownership and accountability of problems and facilitate finding a solution, involving other groups as necessary.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an advanced technical position requiring the ability to work independently performing moderate to complex duties and in a team member role working under deadlines and operating constraints. Must have experience to provide functional/technical guidance; development and implementation of software defined infrastructure, automate tasks, and the following duties in addition to previous Level Definition requirements:
- • Works on moderate to complex tasks in support of one or more projects.
- • Works independently on small projects.
- • Increased skill in multiple technical environments
- • Creates and shares development estimates and operational requirements to enable accurate planning with realistic timelines.
- • May serve as a liaison between client partners, IT, and vendors in coordination with project managers to provide technical solutions that address user needs.
- • Analyze client operations to understand their strengths and weaknesses to uncover opportunities for improvements.
- • Participates Integrating solutions with other applications and platforms outside the framework.
- • Codes and documents custom test automation frameworks.
- • Maintains new and existing object reference files.
- • Builds automated deployments using configuration management technology.
- • Documents and completes knowledge transfer to production support.
- • Works with Release Management to ensure modules are production-ready.
- • Validates deployments.
- • Assists in establishing requirements and automation for routine maintenance.
- • Evaluate existing applications and platforms and provide recommendations for improving performance.
- • Works with vendors to resolve problems and develop solutions.
- • Participates in development of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- • Develops user guides and training documentation for systems.
- • Evaluates new application packages and tools.
- • Provides technical coaching and mentoring to less-experienced team members.
- • A minimum of two years experience required in any combination of the following:
- o Experience in Telecommunications or Computer Sciences/IT field.
- o Experience working in applications, systems, or IT operations.
- o Working knowledge of two or more programming language.
- o Experience with Automation Tools
- o Comfort with frequent incremental code, testing, and deployment.
- o Demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills.
- • High School diploma or equivalent required.
- • Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, engineering or related field required.
- • In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year-for-year basis.
- • Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
Position reports to: Assigned Manager/ Supervisor or department
Number of Direct Reports (if applicable): N/A
Physical Requirements: Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout the course of a normal workday. Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding activities and operate general office equipment. Must have the ability to communicate orally, both in person and over the telephone. Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Working Conditions: Work can be performed remotely in conjunction other team members in GCI offices in Anchorage, Seattle and Portland. Attendance either in person or via telecommuting technologies required during business hours. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.