Job Duties and Responsibilities
Dish is seeking a Engineer I - Compression to join the Compression team in Quicksburg, VA to design, implement, and maintain all video and audio compression systems needed to support DISH’s customers. The Compression team is responsible for the entire video encoding and multiplexing infrastructure within DISH and constantly works to ensure our content quality meets or exceeds DISH specifications and customer expectations. At the heart of the broadcast center, Compression works across multiple departments to resolve concerns with audio and video quality, signal handling, encryption, specialized hardware and transmission. Compression is apt for someone who embraces new and specialized technologies, thrives on the improvement and sharing of knowledge, and seeks out unique challenges. Working in Compression requires a tenacious, detail oriented person who is willing to work shifts to support our 24 hour services.
Primary responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Assist compression engineers in the maintenance of all compression systems at the uplink facility.
- Maintain, monitor, and configure MPEG content in a multi-channel broadcast environment.
- Manage networks controlling, monitoring, and distributing digitally encoded audio/video content.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot the transmission of digital video signals across local and wide area networks utilizing TCP/IP and fiber networks.
- Help complete daily activity reports and maintain department documentation.
- This position requires shift work.
Skills - Experience and Requirements
The successful Engineer I - Compression will have the following:
- Associate’s Degree (AAS) (or equivalent from a two year college or technical school) and 2 or more years IT or video systems experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 or more years of experience with Windows and Linux operating systems.
- 2 or more years of experience with networking protocols to include TCP/IP, BOOTP, TFTP.
- Must be U.S. citizen or possess US Permanent Resident status.
- The ability to work rotating shifts to support 24x7x365 environment according to the needs of the business.
- The ability to communicate via 2-way radio and respond to audible alerts.
- Familiarity with digital video routing systems.
- Moderate experience with RF modulation schemes to include, QPSK and 8PSK.
- Experience with professional digital video encoding equipment.