Primary Job Functions:
We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s environmental, health and safety (EHS) department seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar technology through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. First Solar’s EHS team works together to improve First Solar’s environmental and safety performance.
The EHS team looks for individuals who are driven to ensure the safety and health of our associates and the communities in which we operate to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
Basic Job Functions:
The O&M EHS Engineer is responsible to define, implement and maintain compliant EH&S programs and systems for the Operations and Maintenance organization according to First Solar policy and federal, state and local regulations.
7-10 years of EHS experience in a Utility or related industry.
Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health and Safety or related field, with a MSpreferred
- Comprehensive understanding of EHS regulations, standards and requirements with strong electrical safety and maintenance experience.
- Proven problem-solving and incident investigation skills.
- Knowledge of internal and external EH&S audit procedures.
- Proven knowledge of EH&S standards and procedures.
- Excellent computer skills
- Strong self motivation and multi-tasking abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work with and influence people at all levels inside and external to the company.
- Frequent travelrequired
- Professional certification (CSP) or ability to obtain a plus
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Responsible to define, implement and monitor EH & S Systems in accordance with First Solar policy, regulations and standards.
- Responsible for the maintenance and continuous improvement of EH&S Systems.
- Responsible for the maintenance of OSHA procedures and records per OSHA standards.
- Responsible for the training of personnel on EH&S requirements and procedures as required.
- Interfaces with other departments, customer and supplier representatives on EH&S issues and feedback for corrective/preventive action.
- Defines and implements corrective/preventive actions and continuous improvement activities as assigned.
- Responsible to conduct EHS audits as necessary to ensure compliance and conformance.
- Evaluate operational performance and injury and safety prevention through jobsite inspections, consultations, audits and injury/incident analysis.
- Provide technical assistance to management and field personnel, relative to injury and incident prevention, and regulatory compliance.
- Responsible for establishing leading indicator metrics and goals and managing priorities to meet goals.
- Participate in the review of new equipment design and installation.
- Responsible for effective communications levels and fosters team building.
- Prepares safety reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.