The Network Engineer (NE) performs tier three network support in accordance with the SIE OPORD. Network Engineers must be detail-oriented and have in-depth knowledge of networking hardware and software. Extensive experience in areas such as network design and implementation, LAN/WAN interfacing, security, Internet protocols and TCP/IP, as well as server and networkinfrastructure is required. Canidates for the NE tests and analyzes elements of network facilities, including power, software, security features, communications devices, communications lines, modems, and terminals and is responsible for the overall integration of the enterprise network. The NE is also responsible for planning, modeling, simulation, design, installation, maintenance, management and coordination of the network. The NE monitors and controls the performance and status of network resources by using software and hardware tools, as well as by identifying and diagnosing complex problems and factors affecting network performance. The NE keeps his or her technical skills updated and studies vendor products to determine those which best meet the Government’s needs. The NE provides guidance and direction for junior network support technicians.
1. Analyzes voice; video; radio-frequency; and/or data communications networks; including planning; designing; evaluating; selecting; and upgrading operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators; bridges; and other devices.
2. Plans network layouts and configures systems to user environments.
3. Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements.
4. Supports the acquisition of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services as needed.
5. May provide technical support and troubleshooting to users.
6. May perform network administration duties.
7. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
8. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science; Engineering; or a related technical discipline; or the equivalent combination of education; technical certifications or training; or work experience.
Required Certification: Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching
2-5years of directly related experience in network analysis and design.
8years of complex and progressive experience in computer systems and networkengineering, including two years of specialized experience related to the candidate’s assigned task.
- Engineering enterprise data; voice and video networks
- Establishing and operating network test facilities
- Maintaining a secure transfer of data to multiple locations via internal and external networks
- Working with vendors; the Government; carriers; and technical staff on network implementation; optimization and ongoing management
- Providing high-level support and technical expertise in networking technology; including LAN/WAN hardware; switches; bridges and routers
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.