Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have here at MSC. If you are inspired to learn, expand your circle, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Requisition ID : 7158
Employment Type : Full Time
Job Category : IT
Work Location : Columbus, OH
State or Province : OH
Potential Work Location : Columbus, OH or Remote
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY: This can be Remote
The position of Desktop Engineer I is responsible for the creation of software packages for Windows based desktops and laptops, including testing and distribution. Managing Distribution infrastructure, Workstation VM environment. Maintain enterprise imaging solution. Work cross-functionally with other technical teams to troubleshoot issues, support projects and design solutions.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses Software Distribution and Patch Management Tools to deploy applications and security patches.
- Conducts software packaging QA and user acceptance tests.
- Provides technical expertise to evaluate, install and maintain both hardware and software solutions.
- Follows system-wide server, workstation, networking and integration standards, policies and procedures.
- Participates in activities to evaluate new technology developments, applications and end-point solutions.
- Performs tasks associated with evaluation, design, installation, configuration, upgrades, testing, documentation, and expansion for PC and operating system technologies.
- Cross-trains technical support specialists for the desktop deployment process. Maintains professional knowledge of current trends and developments in the information technology field.
- Serves as point of escalation for Service Desk and desktop support teams. Provides Level II and III support for hardware and OS related incidents by determining appropriate solutions to problems including software, hardware, network, and system integration requirements.
- Assists in the design of automated installation processes using Bigfix, AppV, Citrix XenApp, or similar deployment tools.
- Ensures all newly requested applications are packaged and tested with existing desktop image prior to deployment.
- Performs requirements gathering, initial engineering design, platform/environment integration and evolution planning to support highly reliable, available, scalable and cost-effective computing.
- Creates, modifies and documents complex desktop image design defaults, scripted processes and image maintenance procedures. Works in conjunction with or external department groups in setting hardware and software standards.
- Interfaces with product vendors for escalated support and advance product knowledge.
- Provides 24x7 support for all desktop/laptop and end-user devices for critical issues.
- Research and recommend innovative solutions and where possible automate approaches for system administration tasks.
- Performs appropriate change control procedures.
- Produces weekly status reports to IT Management.
- Create and deploy enterprise level scripting utilizing Windows Powershell, VBscript, Batch/Command, and WISE
- Ensures the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
- 3+ years of experience maintaining and supporting a Microsoft environment
- Demonstrated knowledge with TCP/IP, DNS, 802.1X, and DHCP protocols
- Focus on Virtualization Technology; hands on experience Citrix (XenApp, XenDesktop) and VMware (View) is a plus.
- Minimum 2 years’ desktop infrastructure engineering experience with desktops/laptops and Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and general business productivity software (i.e. MS Office, Visio, Adobe) within a corporate environment is required.
- Strong background in building, testing, updating, and deploying Windows operating systems in a large professional, business environment required.
- Knowledge of software distribution, patch management, inventory and asset tracking required.
- Industry recognized certifications such as A+, MCSE or ITIL are preferred or equivalent experiences
- Experience with Citrix is preferred
- Experience with Active Directory, Azure, SMTP and Exchange
- SharePoint Online/Office 365 management experience preferred
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong knowledge of Windows 7/10 and Windows Installer technologies required.
- Knowledge of at least one current enterprise software packaging tools (InstallShield, AdminStuido or Wise Package Studio) preferred
- Working knowledge of at least one applicable scripting language (PowerShell, VBScript, InstallShield, Batch, Kixtart, WMI)
- Knowledge of GPO
- Excellent time management and organization skills required.
- Working knowledge of Citrix is preferred
- Understanding of Internet technologies, including encryption, SSL, Browsers, firewalls and proxies is required.
- Hands-on experience supporting Microsoft Office, Windows 10, Server 2016 required.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 5% of the time may be required.
“Compensation starting at $74,000 and up commensurate with experience
Benefits may include: paid time away including holidays and parental leave, medical and dental plans, retirement savings plans with company-match, disability and life insurance, tuition reimbursement program, recognition and service award programs, wellness and workplace flexibility programs, stock purchase plan, and product discounts (Benefits may vary by location).”
People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works.
Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions.
We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential. When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family's health, well-being, and financial future.