Requisition Number: 33176
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
In this role, you will lead and direct engineering resources in the development and improvement of processes and equipment. We look for you to achieve low cost manufacturing, provide superior quality and service and improved capability and capacity. You will be the key plant contact for incoming work from external Corning providers (i.e. Division Eng, MTE, etc.).
- Lead and/or direct engineering resources in the development and improvement of processes and equipment.
- Achieve low cost manufacturing, excellent quality/service and improved capability/capacity.
- Handle and coordinate multiple project leaders to deliver on key plant objectives.
- Lead and communicate status of key engineering initiatives that drive manufacturing performance and Cost reduction.
- Establish effective relationships with division engineering, division manufacturing, and commercial (as necessary) in support of execution of the plant engineering strategy.
- Provide focus and direction to direct reports to ensure professional development.
- Ensure the protection of Corning’s Intellectual Property (IP); assist in definition of new IP.
- Develop technical capabilities in engineering organization.
- Champion use of scientific method to determine and resolve process upset root cause and increase process fundamental understanding within department.
- Ensure effective process and equipment change control management.
- Cost per unit vs budget and lowest cost targets.
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE), Material Utilization (MU), Total Asset Utilization (TAU).
- Inventory Turns, Days of Supply.
- Department Spending, Project Spending.
- Environmental and Safety (Incidents, Recordables and Lost Time Accidents).
Plant Metrics such as:
- Material Utilization, Selects.
- Safety (Recordables, LTAs, Inspection Performance).
- Quality performance (process capability, returns/complaints in PPM).
- Audit results (Safety, Environmental, Mfg. Excellence, ISO).
- Talent Development (diversity, % career plans, performance rating trends, employee satisfaction, retention).
- Delivery (ship to request, ship to commit).
Travel Requirements: Less than 5% domestic.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: M-F, 8-5, depending on project requirements, specifically for start-up of facility or manufacturing process, some weekend or off shift leadership from this innovation project mgr. role could be required.
- Bachelor of Science Engineering.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 8 years of people and project management experience.
- Experience working on technical problems or teams.
- Prior budget responsibility.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Ability to train, coach, and direct others.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated track record of engineering / technical accomplishment such as delivery of sustainable incremental improvement, step change in capability / performance, etc.
- Demonstrated delivery of results through project and organizational leadership.
- Demonstrated track record (Performance Results and People Development).
- Experience in operations and/or engineering with progressive responsibilities.
- Experience leading the talent development strategy for the department, including programs to attract, develop and retain key talent.
- Experience across multiple organizations/plants.
- Master of Science (Engineering or Technical).
- Certified Green Belt. Knowledge of manufacturing excellence tools (AME, KT, Lean).
- Experience with multi-functional teamwork.
Are you a professional with composure, excellent attention to detail, ability to act with integrity and authenticity and can champion change and flexibility?
- Ability to building effective teams and direct others.
- Drive for results and ability to manage and measuring work.
- Ability to present to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solving skillset.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.