The Powisset Farm Engagement Manager is a full time exempt (salaried) position based at Powisset Farm in Dover, MA. The position is responsible for creating, designing, planning, managing the execution and measuring the success of events, programs, and visitor experiences supporting the goal of growing Powisset into a flagship educational farm property. The Engagement Manager is a key member of a cross functional team reporting to the General Manager and leads efforts to grow the farm’s audience of children, families and community members in support of the Trustees strategic plan to elevate the organization’s agricultural resources.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in event and volunteer management with experience in program development, budget management, marketing and public relations. The Engagement Manager must possess an outgoing, vibrant, engaging personality, be recognized for exceptional organizational, planning, verbal and written communication skills, be cool under pressure, have a polished, sophisticated demeanor and creative flair. A love and understanding of great hospitality, food/dining, current entertaining, recreation and social trends, combined with an interest in adult, family and children’s education and the ability to connect with visitors of all ages, personalities and interests is key to success. In addition to the General Manager, the Engagement Manager works closely with the Charles River Valley Stewardship Manager, Powisset CSA Manager/Lead Farmer, Volunteer Coordinator, Statewide Director of Public Programs, Statewide Director of Visitor Experience, other statewide colleagues in membership, development, finance and marketing and the Charles River Valley regional team.
1. Create, Develop, Plan, Market and Manage Implementation of Year-Round Public Programming
- Develop a creative, exciting annual plan of programming for families, children and individuals, including multi-generational cooking classes, children’s classes, vacation programs, family festivals, special events and holiday-themed programs.
- Design programming to reach target audiences and achieve participation goals.
- Market programs to generate attendance using local publicity, signage, social media, promotions and other traditional and digital communications outreach vehicles. Work closely with statewide marketing team to implement local marketing in the context of the statewide strategies, campaigns and channels.
- Provide on-site support of events through staff and volunteer management, post-event evaluation including metrics analysis and reporting.
- Deliver flawless implementation, whether managing a program individually, or in collaboration with volunteers and event staff.
- Recruit and develop relationships/partnerships with outside service providers including: instructors, chefs, caterers, musicians, educators, etc.
- Develop relationships with community and statewide organizations, to increase visitation and program participation. Examples: COA, PTO, Garden Clubs, Schools, Parks and Recreation, MA Department of Travel & Tourism, etc.
- Manage budget expenses and revenue to insure profitability of programming and private rentals; achieve established financial goals.
- Manage, schedule and recruit (as necessary) event assistants for program execution.
- Schedule and manage Powisset Barnyard including staffing, program content and liaising with livestock staff.
- Function as a creative, entrepreneurial business partner with the General Manager and agriculture team.
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Enhance Visitor Experience and Membership Sales
- Provide welcoming hospitality and outstanding customer service to visitors.
- Train volunteers and event staff in customer service and membership sales.
- Secure private rentals for special events.
- Develop and implement self-guided experiences and activities for visitors.
- Insure all details of the visit are exceptional, including cleanliness, safety, visual appeal, availability of information and resources for customer questions or inquiries.
- Share a sense of pride of the property; instill similar pride in staff members and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will have energy, enthusiasm, and be dedicated to providing every visitor a remarkable experience at Powisset Farm, and within the Trustees Charles River management unit.
- 5+ years of progressively responsibleexperience in visitor engagement, public programming, hospitality, continuing education, public relations and/or event marketing, with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Minimum of three years as a manager or supervisor of staff, including recruiting, hiring, training and mentoring employees.
- Track record of conceptualizing, developing and managing creative program and events.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, and deliver high quality projects, programs and/or events on time and within budget.
- Exceptional organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills -- both written and verbal -- including comfort level speaking in front of groups and delivering presentations.
- Budget management skills including developing eventbudgets and the ability to project, manage and analyze income and expenses.
- Proven experience using social media and digital platforms to drive interest, participation and event attendance.
- Strong relationship management skills, including the ability to work in a matrix organization, manage varied constituencies and collaborate across multiple geographies.
- Enthusiastic approach to creative problem solving.
- Ability to work both independently on projects and collaboratively with staff members.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, basic graphic design. Technically savvy and willingness to learn new software systems.
- Supportive of a collegial, respectful, inclusive work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Valid driver’s license, and satisfactory driving record.
- Willing to travel within Massachusetts using a personal vehicle.
- Work weekends, evenings and holidays as required, attending all signature events.
- Able to lift 40lbs independently and spend periods of time standing during events.