The incumbent provides mechanical engineering expertise for entire project life cycles, including design, development, and project completion under the direction and guidance of a Senior Engineer. In addition, the incumbent shall have strong experience in energy analysis. This includes assuming responsibility for all technical aspects of energy projects from sales assistance, conceptual design, energy modeling, energy auditing, project development, customer presentation assistance, and measurement and verification auditing.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as lead engineer on assigned projects.
- Develops and defines applicable design criteria, including code compliance requirements.
- Conducts surveys to gather field data.
- Prepares project analyses, including design, load calculation, life cycle cost, and equipment selection.
- Consult with internal and external customers on technical issues related to energy conservation measures and implementation activities.
- Optimize opportunities through technical and financial analysis (ROI)
- Provide analysis and make recommendations for potential energy savings products, operational changes and procedural modifications.
- Creates and interprets drawing prints, schematic drawings, layouts, and other visual aids.
- Coordinates mechanical design requirements and constraints with other design professionals, including Architects, Structural Engineers, and Electrical Engineers.
- Prepares technical construction specifications and compliance documentation required for submission.
- Manages engineering document production, and reviews documents for compliance with engineering standards, defined design criteria, contract requirements, and applicable codes.
- Coordinates the activities of the design with the requirements of the construction teams.
- Resolves project issues, scope changes, and field questions as they arise.
- Reviews and approves equipment submittals and shop drawings.
- Provides conceptual engineering and design for estimate documents for sales opportunities.
- Reviews and critiques proposed changes to engineering standards, policies, or details.
- Provides on-the-job training to new staff, and provides performance feedback to management.
- Maintains a safe working environment and encourages the safety of others, especially at job sites.
- Maintains appropriate Company confidentiality at all times.
- Protects the assets of the Company and ethically upholds the Code of Conduct & Ethics in all situations.
- Cultivates and promotes the “Hearts & Minds” safety culture.
- Consistently exemplifies the Core Values of the Company (we CARE, we ACT WITH INTEGRITY, we are INNOVATIVE, and we are ACCOUNTABLE).
- This position operates primarily in an office environment, and routinely utilizes standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, copiers, and printers.
- Work duties may also necessitate visits to/walk throughs of local job sites, which means intermittent exposure to outside weather and conditions/hazards typically associated with a construction site.
- In performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, perform repetitive motion, and possess an appropriate degree of both visual acuity and manual dexterity.
- This is considered a sedentary position, which means possible exertion up to ten (10) pounds of force occasionally, and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- This position requires occasional travel to attend meetings and conduct site visits/inspections.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of commercial HVAC and Energy engineering experience.
- Registered professional engineer in HVAC engineering and application.
- Familiarity with applicable federal, state, and local building codes and safety laws.
- Working knowledge of CAD tools and energy modeling programs.
- Experience with HVAC load calculation methods, duct/piping/plumbing design, energy modeling, equipment selection, temperature control, acoustics, and other areas of mechanical construction.
- Understanding of architectural, structural, civil, electrical, and fire protection design activities.
- Understanding of construction and maintenance activities related to HVAC and plumbing trades.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) with diverse audiences.
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, as business needs dictate.