Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
This is a full-time position that combines Chemical Engineering tasks with that of Program Manager. Designs and executes methods for process selection and optimization of critical energetic ingredients. Evaluates and manipulates the chemical properties of various energetic substances. Conducts research and analysis of novel energetics preparation, processing, and handling. Designs, models, evaluates, and implements chemical processes, instrumentation, and equipment to ensure effectiveness in engineering and design. Performs trials, tests, and/or experiments to support explosive engineering, production, and/or R&D activities. Conducts synthesis and scale-up preparation of new energetic materials with enhanced performance and sensitivity characteristics. Designs and develops, plants, pilot plants, and/or unit operations to create a diverse range of energetic processes and products. Applies the principles of chemistry, material science, math, and engineering to solve problems that involve the production, use or conversion of hazardous and high energy chemicals, materials, and energy. Uses the principles of chemical sciences and the tools of engineering to control energetic chemical and mechanical processes.
- Designs and leads complex multidisciplinary and innovative engineering research studies. Determines the appropriate analysis methods, identifies problems, an develops and implements solutions to complex problems.
- Conducts complex, integral chemical plan design and economic analysis leading teams.
- Leads complex and advanced technical projects where technical staff compile and evaluate design and test data, prepare technical specifications.
- Leads the analysis of complex data and provides focused interpretive reports detailing problems, innovative solutions and other recommendations, as required.
- Prepares and presents advanced technical reports and presentations to client.
- Leads, plans, and conducts major technical projects or major phases of significant technical projects, coordinating the efforts of technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects within time and budget constraints.
- Reviews projects progress and evaluates results. Recommends modifications and corrections in technical applications and analysis.
- Manages cost, schedule and performance. Assesses the task or project impact of scope, schedule and budget change requests and takes requisite action. Ensures that the task or project is maintained within the scope, budget and schedule of the baseline agreement using tools such as Earned Value Management. Assigns work to task or project team members. Assesses team and makes changes as required.
- Develops project and overhead budgets with clients and management.
- Builds relationships with internal and external clients. Manages client meetings and consults with clients on long-term research programs.
- Recognized by clients as an expert in one or more specific areas of engineering. Presents results to clients, regulators, stakeholders, and in public forums as necessary.
- Leads a collections of invention disclosures and supports licensing. May provide inputs for new areas of business.
- Maintains successful, ongoing business development efforts, and plays a lead role in identifying, cultivating and capturing major business opportunities.
- Assists in developing and implementing strategic plans for business development in particular areas. Consults with product line and marketing managers on long-term strategic planning issues.
- Participates in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and increase company visibility through publications.
- Provides strong mentoring, technical guidance, and oversight to other scientists and engineers. Provides work assignment to lower level staff.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with at least 10 to 15 years of experience, or a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with 8-10 years of experience, or a PhD with 5-8 years of experience.
- Demonstrated Industrial processing experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams and projects.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office tools: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Successfully be authorized and issued a Government security badge.
- Has the potential to receive a US Government Secret security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Experienced in remote automation of hazardous materials, and mixing.
- Experience in developing pilot scale processing of hazardous materials and the transition to full scale production processes