Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
This is a full-time position. Designs and executes methods for process selection and optimization of critical energetic ingredients. Evaluates and manipulates the chemical properties of various energetic substances. Conducts research and analysis of novel energetics preparation, processing, and handling. Designs, models, evaluates, and implements chemical processes, instrumentation, and equipment to ensure effectiveness in engineering and design. Performs trials, tests, and/or experiments to support explosive engineering, production, and/or R&D activities. Conducts synthesis and scale-up preparation of new energetic materials with enhanced performance and sensitivity characteristics. Designs and develops, plants, pilot plants, and/or unit operations to create a diverse range of energetic processes and products. Applies the principles of chemistry, material science, math, and engineering to solve problems that involve the production, use or conversion of hazardous and high energy chemicals, materials, and energy. Uses the principles of chemical sciences and the tools of engineering to control energetic chemical and mechanical processes.
- Performs advanced engineering research and analysis. Conducts quality control review, data reporting, and writes and reviews technical documents.
- Conducts energetic chemical plant unit operations design and economic analysis.
- Performance complex assignments by compiling and evaluating design and test data, preparing technical specifications, analyzing technical data to determine appropriate limits and variables for product, process or materials specification. Analyzes and interprets data collected.
- Prepares technical reports and makes presentations to client both formal and informal.
- Conducts and or leads small technical projects or phases of technical projects.
- May provide technical direction to and coordinate the efforts of engineers and technical support staff in the performance o assigned projects within time and budget constraints.
- Builds relationships with internal and external clients and presents research results.
- Communicates with clients on projects regarding the schedule and quality of deliverables.
- Prepares invention disclosures and may provide inputs for new areas of business.
- Supports business development efforts led by others and secures follow-on work.
- May participate in scientific conferences, peer review panels, and increases company visibility through publications.
- Oversees, mentors and trains lower-level staff.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with at least 5-8 years' experience, or a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with 2-5 years of experience, or a PhD in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with 5-8 years' experience.
- Industrial processing experience.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office tools: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Successfully be authorized and issued a Government security badge.
- Has the potential to receive a US Government Secret security clearance.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Experience in developing pilot scale processing of hazardous materials and the transition to full scale production processes.
- Experience in remote automation of hazardous materials, and mixing.