The incumbent supervises, coordinates, and provides hands-on technical leadership/mentorship for an in-house Service Desk (SD) (3-4 people) and may supervise Desktop Support technicians. The individual must be able to interpret problems, provide assistance to technical and business staff, provide problem-solving support, and advise computer users about hardware, software and system services offered by IT. The individual should understand best practices in ITIL Service Management including Incident, Problem, Change, and Service Request workflow processing; including onboarding and off boarding employees and third party support contractors/consultants. The person will be responsible for overall ticket queue management and Customer Satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (and other duties as assigned)
1. Assists Service Desk Technicians (and occasionally Desktop Support technicians) in solving non-routine software, hardware, and procedure problems
2. Communicates with customers, staff, and managers to determine requirements for new or modified software and hardware; and hardware deployment requirements
3. Writes recommendations for management review (e.g., SD staff performance reviews, process improvement opportunities, and end user communications)
4. Coordinates Installs, Moves, Add, Changes (IMAC) of hardware and software, and implementation/training of policy/procedure changes
5. Ensures the technical and end user Knowledge Base is being added to and remains relevant. Implements quality/audit procedures to ensure checklists, technical procedures, processes, and other instructions are kept current.
6. Interprets company policy for staff and enforces company policy and practices. Responsible for personnel training on new processes and job-related policy/procedures
7. Prepares and understands weekly and monthly metrics used by IT for billing and process improvement opportunities (e.g., PC Count, Problem tickets)
8. Owns end-to-end Root Cause Analysis (RCA) Process for IT and drive's teams to determine root cause and irreversible correction action plans
9. Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring SD metrics handling (e.g., Calls Handled, Abandoned Calls, Severity 1 Incidents) and sometimes desktop support work activities; such as preparation of records of expenditures, weekly progress reports, technician scoring, ticket queue management and prioritization in order to inform management of current status or work activities
10. Represents the source of accountability for the Continuous Improvement Program (CIP). Is constantly challenging the as-is of how we do things to identify ways to mature operational processes (following the walk-crawl-run approach).
11. Provides email and service desk phone hands-on technical support as time allows, or when customer demand exceeds on-shift personnel capacity
12. Provides daily and weekly reporting on SD health and call volume. Responsible for gathering, understanding, meeting SLAs, and improving best practice SD metrics such as Calls Handled, Calls Abandoned, Average Call Duration, First Call Resolution, Day 1 Readiness, System Access form processing, and PC Deployments.
13. Regularly reviews Voice Routing Unit (VRU) and identifies improvement opportunities
14. Serves as Voice of the Customer and maintains a positive respected relationship with business stakeholders
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor's degree (in Computer Science or related field) or equivalent experience is required
2. ITIL Certified or equivalent experience is required
3. 4-6 years of experience in Service Desk/Desktop Support in a Microsoft environment is required
4. Demonstrated outstanding Customer Service skills
5. Detail oriented - ability to handle several operational and project tasks in parallel - well organized
6. Ideal: Hands on experience with Symantec Altiris Service Desk and Altiris Analytics
7. Proven experience defining and implementing Service Desk workflows/processes; including IMAC, onboarding, off-boarding, security incident management, and other key SD processes
8. Experience supporting and maintaining desktops/servers, or working knowledge equivalent
9. Experience in setting up networks, maintaining accounts and security in a network environment, or working knowledge equivalent
10. Experience in managing in-house Service Desk and Desktop Support teams