The Employment Counsel is responsible for providing practical and business-oriented legal advice and counselling on a range of labor and employment law issues on a company-wide basis. This role is also responsible for drafting and reviewing employment-related agreements and policies; overseeing internal investigations; and managing related compliance and training programs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Employment and Labor
- Primaryresponsibilities will be to provide advice and counsel to management and Human Resource professionals on a broad range of employment issues including: traditional labor matters, employee policies and programs; discipline and terminations;internalinvestigations; wage and hour compliance; EEO compliance;contingentworker items; accommodations; employment law issues in reorganizations, divestitures or acquisitions; immigration; agency charges and other employment-related matters.
- Provides advice and strategic support to HR business partners and business leaders across the organization
- Collaborates with other in-house counsel with respect to advice and counseling provided to HR and other cross-functional partners
- Drafts and reviews a broad range of employment-related agreements, standard forms, and policies for the organization, including employment and severance agreements, annual and multi-year incentive program documents and award agreements, and termination and separation agreements
- Responsible for regularly updating employment policies for changing business objectives and evolving legal requirements and standards
- Manages employment-related internal and external investigations, manages dispute resolution processes, and oversees employment and labor-related claims
- Supports internal and litigation counsel in employment/labor litigation matters
Risk Avoidance and Compliance Administration
- Develops and manages training programs for internal teams; oversees compliance programs relating to employment and labor matters
- Responds to alleged violations of applicable legal requirements and regulations and of company policies and standards by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures. Develops and oversees a system for uniform handling of such violations.
- Oversees the procedures and management of the Ethics Hotline.
- Works with the Human Resources Department and others as appropriate to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers.
Education and Experience Profile
- J.D. from an ABA-approved law school with excellent academic credentials preferred
- 6-10 years of experience with experience at a major law firm and either in-house experience at a company with multi-state operations or experience in working with clients with multi-state operations.
- Experience with California employment laws preferred
- Employment claims, dispute resolution and litigation experience
- Must be a leader and individual contributor, with sound legal and business judgment and professional maturity.
- Sufficient experience to successfully manage a caseload of various legal matters with limited assistance.
- Willingness to be flexible, adaptive, and the ability to operate in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Manage legal matters in a manner that protects the best interests of the company, as well as the company’s integrity, reputation, assets, officers, and employees, while ensuring the company operates in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- The highest standards of ethics and professional integrity.
- Ability to multi-task and multi-deadline a large variety of projects effectively, on time and in a cost efficient manner.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with executives and all levels within the organization.
Job # US10686