Job Description & Requirements
The attorney in this role acts as corporate counsel for the Company in the areas of employment law, insured claims, and commercial litigation, with primary emphasis on employment law.
- Serve as legal counsel to Human Resources team and business partners on all areas of employment law, including but not limited to issues arising under federal state and local discrimination and anti-harassment laws, wage and hour laws, privacy laws, wrongful termination and whistleblower laws, leaves of absence laws, non-compete laws, workplace safety laws (OSHA), workers’ compensation laws, laws relating to hiring and separation, including WARN Act, Affirmative Action, and more.
- Provide training and regular updates on developments on employment and labor laws to Human Resources team.
- Engage in drafting, negotiating and/or revising agreements touching on employment law issues (including settlement and separation agreements) or sections of complex commercial contracts with employment-related provisions or issues present.
- Develop, draft and/or revise policies and procedures related to employment and labor law.
- Lead process for responding to complaints of discrimination and other administrative charges filed with federal and state agencies, which includes partnering withHR clients to investigate complaints. Draft position statements in connection with such complaints and represent the company in mediations and other administrative hearings.
- Investigate and respond to attorney demand letters and employee complaints.
- Proactively lead strategy on all forms of insured/non-subscriber claims and litigation (mainly in the general liability, auto and worker’s compensation arenas), and provide counsel related to the development, maintenance, or improvement of Risk programs.
- Proactively lead strategy on commercial litigation matters, including but not limited to collections, business disputes, asbestos and miscellaneous other types of litigation, partnering with business clients.
- Create and maintain various reports on status of lawsuits, charges and other proceedings, and report on same.
- Oversee discovery for all claims and lawsuits, including litigation hold and release process, responding to discovery and working on e-discovery matters and issues.
- Provide guidance to, mentor and assist in supervising in-house paralegals who work in the employment and litigation areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree, J.D. Degree, and law license required.
- At least 4+ years practicing employment and labor law with a strong law firm. Candidates with some time working as in-house counsel for a public company, is preferred, but is not required.
- Very deep expertise in the areas of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act and other leave acts, and Workers’ Compensation laws.
- Legal experience working in insured claims case management (including workers’ compensation and non-subscriber matters) and commercial litigation.
- Extensive litigation experience in the employment arena.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and the ability to present well to small and large groups. Writing samples will be requested (preferably redacted Position Statements responding to Charges).
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity.
- Hands-on, roll up the sleeves attorney who can be an effective team member and work well under deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter and finisher with the ability to efficiently complete projects with minimal oversight.
- Must have close attention to detail.