As a member of the professional staff, contributes specialized knowledge and skill in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Resources, Operations Planning & Support, Sales & Marketing) area to support team and/or department business objectives. Generally works under limited supervision, but within established guidelines, producing and analyzing more complex business information to assist in the decision making process.
The Employee Relations & Human Resources Manager will report directly to the Regional Senior Director, Human Resources - Resort Operations and will provide work environment support for all associates within a region. As a member of the Regional Human Resources (HR) Team, the incumbent contributes a high level of HR generalist knowledge with specialization in Associate Relations. This position will assist site managers in the preparation and execution of investigations and hearings, as well as consult with other regional HR staff on worker's compensation issues. The incumbent will generally work with considerable independence ensuring Work Environment programs and processes are effectively implemented to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives and strategies. Additionally, this position will work closely with Global HR Services team on Work Environment issues and with associates in communication, coordination and follow-up activities, as needed. The incumbent will be expected to travel locally approximately 60 percent of the time.
- Performs more complex quantitative and qualitative analysis for business processes and/or projects. Often manages small projects, business processes or parts of larger ones.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on more complex/non-routine business requests with limited to moderate risk.
- Responsible for own work and contributing to team, department and/or business results. May direct work of non-management staff.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- identifying opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of business processes
- providing training and technical guidance to less senior staff, where appropriate, and serving as point-of-contact for problem resolution
- participating in setting department operating plans
- recognizing and celebrating team successes
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrates an awareness of personal strengths and areas for improvement and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Specific Expected Contributions
- Certain Work Environment responsibilities which previously resided with the onsite Directors of Human Resources now fall under the jurisdiction of this position.
- Liaise with the Work Environment managers in the Global HR Services team to ensure that consistent treatment is being afforded to all associates.
- Participate in and support Positive Work Environment (PAR) training,labor/employee relations-related interventions (focus groups, feedback sessions, etc.),Guarantee of Fair Treatment/Arbitration and Peer
- Review program implementation and support, in collaboration with the corporate Employee & Labor Relations department. Responsible for documentation and disciplinary action training for line managers.
- Coach and advise management on Work Environment issues
- Key escalation point for associate relation issues and may substitute forRegional Director Human Resources, Ops or Senior Director (e.g., progressive discipline issues)
- Participate in resolution of serious grievances surfaced by any property.
- Ensure that disciplinary procedures are consistently and appropriately administered on property.
- Ensure and guide communication of site rules and regulations, the progressive discipline policy, Associate Resource Line, Business Integrity Line and the Guarantee of Fair Treatment
- Assist property management in development of LSOPs that outline policies that may result in disciplinary procedures (i.e., Attendance policy, call off policy)
- Facilitate Peer Review Panels
- Investigate Business Integrity Line calls when requested - working closely with the relevant resource(s) in the Global HR Services team to come to a satisfactory resolution.
- Assist corporate and outside counsel in research and preparation of employment lawsuits.
- Coordinate responses to subpoenas as directed by corporate counsel.
Unemployment/Worker's Compensation Management:
- Act as key consultant with property Staff for workers' compensation activities.
- Manage all aspects of Workers' Compensation including paperwork for the initial incident and also any arrangements for ongoing treatment/support needed thereafter by the associate.
- Ensure properties have systems in place to record absences, time-off requests and shift turndowns
- Discuss with property management appeal processes when applicable
- Assist in preparing documentation for hearings, as necessary
- Prepare and consult with property management representatives for attendance at hearings, and attend as necessary
- Investigate any issues relating to wage parity/analysis.
- Be aware of all 'spiv' programs that might be offered by various PDs so that - if necessary - they will be able to assist with the audit of payments made to Sales staff at any property/gallery.
- The Work Environment work should be proactive. TEmployee Relations & Human Resources Manager will be looking at the Engagement Survey scores and will be visiting need areas to see if they can improve things before an issue might escalate to the Business Integrity Line/Guarantee of Fair Treatment lines.
- Where possible the Employee Relations & Human Resources Manager should be aware of any issues relating to Associate areas at any property which might impact associate well-being (e.g. the Associate break-room/the Associate entrance).
- The Work Environment Manager is responsible for the on-site life cycle of the Engagement Survey and the associated action planning. In addition, they are responsible for overseeing the improvement of those Units and Departments who fail to meet the minimum standards in any portion of the lifecycle and/or the associated metrics.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
Generally a professional position with specific knowledge in a discipline (e.g., Accounting, Human Resources, Information Resources). College degree and/or relevant experience typically required.
Specific Candidate Profile
- Bachelor degree or equivalent HR experience required.
- PHR/SPHR designation preferred.
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of progressive HR generalist experience with a preference for multi-unit experience.
- Experience in a managerial role as an HR specialist (staffing, development, organizational effectiveness, etc) preferred.
- Experience at Marriott Vacation Club International preferred.
- On-property resort or hotel experience/knowledge preferred.
Skills & Attributes
- Bilingual a plus (English/Spanish or English/French Creole)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Collaborative in role as a team player.
- Proven ability to collaborate and resolve issues and influence without position authority.
- Proven ability to function as a team player who works with a high degree of independence and credibility.
- Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Proven ability to apply excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information.
- Analyzes and assesses situations to find effective solutions; creative problem solver; engages in fixing the problem; makes decisions using data.
- Possesses strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- Proven ability to quickly build rapport and trust.
- Ability to remain current with HR trends and best practices.
- Possesses high degree of integrity in dealing with sensitive information.
- Integrates and balances priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Ability to be an active learner enhancing professional and business growth through the acquisition of knowledge and experiences; proven ability to challenge organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Must have excellent people skills.
- Possesses professional demeanor.