Industry: Education, Government & Non-Profit•
5 - 7 years
Posted 35 days ago
Job Description Summary Under direction of the Deputy Chief of Public Safety, the Emergency Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and updating policies and procedures related to preparation, response, and recovery of emergency situations. The EM is responsible for evaluating compliance with the State's Standard Emergency Response System (S.E.M.S.) and The National Emergency Management System (N.I.M.S.). The EM will provide strategic direction in all areas of emergency management and is responsible for assessing, revising, communicating, and maintaining the University's Emergency Operations Plan. The employee will work with each University college, school and key departments to develop unit-specific Emergency Response Plans. The EM shall conduct trainings and drills on the Emergency Operations Center, planning, response, and recovery.
Responsibilities Emergency Management:
• Plan and coordinate the development and operations of the university's emergency management program in coordination with the Emergency Management Committee and key stakeholders.
• Conduct regular reviews and updates to emergency plan.
• Identify potential impacts of hazards that threaten the campus, property and university jurisdiction.
• Take inventory of resources that would be available during an emergency, include all personnel and material resources.
• Develop and conduct an effective recovery operation after a disaster.
o Analyze damage assessment following emergencies and/or disasters.
• Plan and coordinate personnel participation on any preventive activities.
• Coordinate crisis management responses, such as; evacuations, public shelters, and implementation of special needs plans.
• Inspect facilities and equipment that would be used during emergency response.
• Prepare emergency status reports that describe response and recovery efforts, needs and assessments.
• Make any recommendations based on regulation changes, technologic updates or previous emergency assessments.
• Ensure EOC is equipped and ready for use.
Train and Lead Emergency Planning:
• Educate the campus community about their roles and responsibilities during an emergency by developing a comprehensive training and exercise program.
• Lead a review of all local emergency and disaster related authorities, recommending changes when appropriate.
• Carry out a comprehensive campus and public emergency awareness program.
• Perform test and evaluations of emergency management exercises, ensure plans are within accordance to state and federal regulations.
• Work with appropriate campus stakeholders on maintaining / managing Rave Emergency Notification System.
• Liaison with Emergency Managers from Orange, Irvine, and Anaheim, as well as other state regulatory agencies.
• Identify deficiencies in outside resources, collaborate with outside officials to resolve and amend any measures.
• Maintain a network of expert advisors and damage advisors for all hazards and disasters.
• Consult with local officials, governments, hospitals to determine capabilities in an event of a natural disaster and/or emergency.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
A minimum of 5 years of experience in emergency management.
Knowledge of federal and state laws and guidelines as they apply to Emergency Management.
Advance knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of Emergency Management.
Skill to adapt to changes within the organization.
Excellent organizational skills.
Demonstrated ability to maintain composure when dealing with unusual circumstances, and resolve difficult or stressful customer service issues.
Strong commitment to customer service and teamwork.
Computer skills in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, internet, and e-mail applications, preferably of Microsoft Office software.
Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise discretion and judgment on matters of significance.
Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy and maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
Communications and interpersonal skills to communicate and interact with diverse constituents.
Technical skills to learn and efficiently use various enterprise systems and tools relating to the position.
Proven ability to prioritize and complete tasks efficiently and accurately in a busy work environment with many interruptions.
Demonstrated attention to details.