This position is for an Embedded Software Engineer for Flight Data Recorders product line within the Mission Systems group. You will work as a member of the engineering team in the design, development, integration and testing of embedded software applications. In this role you will create embedded software for Flight Recorders for Civil and Military Fixed Wing, Helicopter, and UAV aircraft, while positively affecting short-term and long-term business goals and objectives.
• Develop full lifecycle of real-time embedded software for Flight Data Recorder products.
• Develop proficiency in ANSI C/C++ and ADA programming languages running on real-time operating system embedded platforms such as Linux and WindRiver
• Produce well designed and commented software meeting GE and industry coding standards of DO-178B/C.
• Develop proficiency in software development processes to effectively utilize knowledge and experience during project planning and execution phases.
• Conceive and execute technical solutions consistent with the need of the project.
• Use sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
• Generate well written detailed technical documentation consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
• Work effectively with the team members at multiple sites in the analysis, design, verification and integration of embedded software.
• Meet business standards, practices and procedures as well as product/program requirements.
• Provide timely communications to technical leaders, mentors, project and functional managers.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering or related engineering degrees (e.g., computer engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, computer science.)
· Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
· This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment
• Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with system engineers, hardware engineers and software engineers to implement solutions that are aligned with the goals of the project across multiple sites.
• Knowledge of Software architecture, design and verification.
• Knowledge of C and Ada.
• Knowledge of VxWorks and Linux real-time operating system, hands on experience developing multithreaded applications and device drivers preferred.
• Strong technical aptitude with experience using applicable engineering tools such as integrated development environments (compilers), configuration management systems (PTC Windchill, Serena Dimensions, IBM Rational Team Concert, Doors), etc.
• Skilled in breaking down problems, documenting problem statements and estimating efforts.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and achieve milestones and deliverables.
• Desire to learn project leadership skills and gain experience in earned value reporting.
• Demonstrates the initiative to explore alternate technology and approaches to solving problems.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Exceptional organizational and planning skills, working within a process-centric environment.
• Self-motivated, willing to learn, detail-oriented, and able to work collaboratively with others.