The Embedded Software Engineer II will participate, as designated, in processes that may include the design, development, testing and related operations essential in the production of Master Lock’s electro-mechanical and electronic products. This position will also implement improvements in products, processes, tools, and equipment to improve quality, reliability, and productivity. The ideal candidate is an inventive problem solver that is capable of working through technical challenges and employing pragmatic solutions.
· Architect, design, develop and maintain defined software interfaces with hardware components and firmware.
· Design, develop, document and analyze real-time cost-sensitive embedded firmware for product line (security access control systems).
· Takes an active role in all stages of the firmware development: conceptualize, design, build, test, and release.
· Enhance and maintain existing product line (access control systems).
· Design optimization through modeling, simulation and analysis. Takes an active role in all stages of the application development: conceptualize, design, build, test, release and manufacturing.
· Work closely with electrical and mechanical engineers in a cross functional team on system design.
· Assist with the selection of microprocessors, platforms, operating systems and firmware architectures that meet product performance and cost needs.
· Assist in defining product specification and features based on marketing requirements
· Key technical contributor to multifunctional new product project teams through project technical feasibility analysis, initiation, planning, execution, and termination, while adhering closely to project timeline and budget.
· Support product manufacturing in various locations.
· Assist in the development of project delivery schedules including providing man-hour estimates.
· Generate engineering documentation such as software flow charts, system flow charts, functional specifications, and test plans.
· Assisting the development of embedded Linux-based applications. Documents test and verification activities at the system and/or subsystem level.
· Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required.
· Demonstrates INTEGRITY
· WORKS AS A TEAM
· Takes OWNERSHIP
· ACTION - biased
· Fosters a WINNING spirit
· Collaborate: Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
· Communicate Effectively: Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
· Instill Trust: Gain the confidence and trust of others through honest, integrity and authenticity
· Organizational Savvy: Maneuver comfortably through complex policy, process and people related organizational dynamics
· Build Effective Teams: Build strong identity teams that apply diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
· Drive Engagement: Create a climate where people are motivated to their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
· Drives Results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances
· Decision Quality: Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
· Plans and Aligns: Plan and prioritize work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
· Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
· BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
· 4 years minimum experience developing embedded systems. Preferably with battery operated and/or wireless products.
· Experience using compilers, linkers and development tools.
· Experience programming ARM Cortex M series microcontrollers with C/C++.
· Ability to read schematics and use lab tools such as an oscilloscope.
· Experience bringing up boards.
· Experience troubleshooting embedded systems.
· Experience with communication interfaces and protocols such as I²C, SPI, Ethernet, USB, EEPROM, NOR/NAND flash.
· Experience interfacing with microcontroller peripherals.
· Experience with Git and/or other version control systems.
· Knowledge in networking protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, TCP/IP) and the creation of custom embedded web-server applications.
· Knowledge of network security and encryption
· Experience with Linux kernel and root file system development preferred