As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
Our Consumer Automotive product development team has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Embedded Software Engineer who is passionate about working on low-level, embedded software. As part of the platforms team, you will work closely with the hardware design engineers and other platform software engineers to develop low-level drivers/software to take projects from concept to production. There is a wide range of opportunity to work with various hardware platforms and technologies that are found in many consumer electronic products today! As a growing and consistent leader in automotive navigation, we strive to design and deliver innovative features. We take pride in producing simple, elegant solutions that impact global customers with clear differentiation.
For more information about the features we develop view our PND Feature Videos page:
Software Engineers on the Consumer Automotive team will:
- Make substantial contributions toward determination of project goal/objective feasibility
- Participate in project leadership and/or program planning including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Contribute to advanced technical research on new technologies
- May work with software vendors to integrate externally developed deliverables into project
- Assist design engineering as needed with component datasheet review and schematic design review
- Offer process improvement suggestions and authors new procedures as appropriate
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced Software Engineers (Software Engineer 1)
- Exemplify Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and proactively works to improve Garmin’s image and culture
- Previous experience writing embedded C code and in-circuit debugging using JTAG interface
- Previous embedded software development experience with one or more of the following technologies: serial protocols (I2C, SPI, UART, etc.), audio codecs, Bluetooth/BLE, Wi-Fi, USB, cameras, graphics drivers, LCD displays, touch panels, power management, etc.
- Familiarity with developing, debugging, and optimizing embedded multi-threaded systems running on ARM-based processors
- Experience in using oscilloscopes and/or logic analyzers to design, test and validate embedded systems
Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or another relevant engineering/technical field AND a minimum of one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience, plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule.
Qualified candidates will also:
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description
- Must demonstrate proficiency and possess experience necessary to develop moderately complex software in C, C++, C#, Java, assembly language, or other selected languages
- Demonstrate mastery of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers, emulators, simulators and logic analyzers)
- Must demonstrate proficient ability to capture and document software requirements