Job ID 3010232
Embedded Firmware Security Engineer
HP delivers the world’s most secure and manageable PCs used by governments, defense organizations and international corporations. Today's IT threats strike businesses from many places and from all angles. Security must cover every entry point with multiple layers of protection. To stay competitive, businesses need security solutions that are simple to deploy, manage, and customize, while also being easy to use.
The Commercial PC Firmware Engineering team designs, develops and delivers the embedded controllers and BIOS for all commercial notebook, desktop and mobility products. This role is responsible for developing HP BIOSphere and HP Sure Start which is the foundation for the world’s most secure PC; collaborating with other technology teams, including HP labs.
Developers are encouraged to patent intellectual property and this position provides an excellent opportunity for high visibility, recognition and advancement in HP’s Technical Career Path.
What you will work on:
- Define, Design and development of Secure Embedded Code
- Develop methodologies and tools to measure and enhance security and quality of BIOS and embedded control systems
- Refactoring for security hardening and automated testing
- Collaborate with architects, marketing personnel, program managers and other developers to provide technical trade-offs and develop a realistic schedule for the deployment of complex features
- Evangelize secure development principles, and provide mentoring and thought leadership across the organization
- Perform Dynamic and Static Code Analysis using industry accepted models. For example, STRIDE model (Spoofing, Tampering, Repudiation, Info disclosure, Denial of Service and Elevation of privilege).
Who we’re looking for:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience
- Experience in secure software development lifecycle (SSDL)
Candidates will be evaluated on the knowledge, skills, experience and interest in the following areas:
- Extensive experience with multiple firmware design tools and languages.
- Development experience for networking, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and/or security technologies
- Understanding of threats, vulnerabilities, risks, defenses, security principles and policies.
- Critical thinking with strong problem solving skills
- Security assessment technologies and analysis tools.
- Knowledge of software architecture and craftsmanship
- ARM processor and RTOS experience
- Leadership behaviours and attributes in line with HP’s leadership principles (imagine the future, inspire the team, and make it happen)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English
- Knowledge of and experience implementing NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) standards