- Design analog front end signal conditioning circuits to prepare an analog input for digitization;
- Programming of FPGAs or microcontrollers to collect/organize data from various ICs/sensors via any manner of serial/parallel communication protocols (e.g., SPI, I2C, USB, 8b10b) and disseminate that data in a multitude of ways (e.g., serial outputs such as USB, UART, NRZL, biphase);
- Perform hands-on test and debug of circuitry;
- Develop documentation of a given design and give technical presentations to peers/managers;
- Design and develop specific manufacturing design requirements (i.e., PC board material, trace impedances, routing requirements, PC board stack-up, etc) and oversight of the manufacturing of PC boards;
- Create software allowing customers to configure or download data from our embedded instrumentation systems, and view and analyze that data in novel ways;
- Develop a system-level understanding of the collected data and support for anomaly resolution.
This position involves being a member of 3-10 person interdisciplinary design teams and supporting multiple programs/teams simultaneously. Travel to test facilities can be common feature of the job, depending on the program being supported, the job may require up to 25% travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical knowledge and competencies appropriate to the position.
- Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with the discipline’s standards for the ethical conduct of research.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing Sandia policies affecting research, design, and development activities, projects, or initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, or equivalent: higher degree (MS, PhD) in relevant discipline; or engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q security clearance
- Ability to travel