At Spacelabs Healthcare, we are on a mission to provide continuous innovation in healthcare technology for better clinical and economic outcomes. Our scalable solutions deliver critical patient data across local and remote systems, enable better-informed decisions, increase efficiencies, and create a safer environment for patients.
Why work at Spacelabs? Because lives depend on you!
The Embedded Firmware Engineer will be a member of the Spacelabs R&D engineering team working on the development of Spacelabs Patient Monitoring and Connectivity (PMC) products. This position requires a deep understanding of solid design and development practices and the ability to apply those to Spacelabs product development. The person will be accountable for developing and delivering embedded software that supports both the suite of existing products and the next generation Patient Monitoring products. They will work with other cross-functional members to provide technical software level expertise and solutions to engineering problems. A key element of this role includes advocating for and designing products that meet the functional, performance and cybersecurity needs of our customers.
- Work with other members of the engineering team to design, write, debug, document and releasefirmware used for acquisition of patient physiological information.
- Collaborate with electrical engineering staff, who are working on both analog and digital designs.
- Participate in the selection of components related to firmware design. Specifically microcontrollers, communication devices and other input/output solutions.
- Help develop requirements related to patient data collection.
- Demonstrate good design practices and methodologies.
- Participate in requirements development, systems level architecture design and external communications/connectivity interface designs by collaborating with cross-functional disciplines within and outside R&D.
- Work with program core team members including Quality and Regulatory to ensure conformance to established design development processes and procedures.
- Participate in FMEA discussions at all levels to ensure product quality and reliability.
- Function well in a team environment. Gains consensus, influences and ensure cross-discipline participation and feedback.
- Willing to work with Architects and SMEs. Open to relevant feed-back from structured Design Reviews.
- Uphold the Company’s core values of Integrity, Innovation, Accountability, and Teamwork.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with the Company’s Code of Ethics and Conduct. Ensure that team members (direct or indirect reports) are trained and evaluated on their knowledge and adherence to the Company’s values, Code of Ethics and Conduct, and applicable compliance policies.
- It is the responsibility of every Spacelabs Healthcare employee to report to their manager or a member of senior management any quality problems or defects in order for corrective action to be implemented and to avoid recurrence of the problem.
- Duties may be modified or assigned at any time to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science. Master’s degree is desirable.
- 5+ years’ embedded firmware engineering experience, preferably in the Medical Device Industry.
- Experience programming microcontrollers using modern Integrated Development Environments (IDE’s).
- Experience with embedded design using the latest in microcontrollers. Kinetis family will be a plus.
- Proficiency in C, C++ and C# programming languages.
- Experience with analog input and output devices, signal processing and digital filter implementation. Filter design experience will be a plus.
- Candidate should be knowledgeable about hardware and have experience in firmware development and the processesassociated with product life cycles.
- Experience with developing software designs and presenting to Architects and SME to obtain relevant constructive feed-backs.
- Familiar with one or more risk management techniques (i.e. Hazard Analysis, Risk Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), etc.).
- Working knowledge of software development tools such as TFS, Git, Re-sharper, C++, Qt, Java, etc.
- Able to work in a highly cross-functional team environment.
- Familiarity with FDA Quality Systems Regulations (QSR) preferred.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, for both internal and external audiences, at all levels.
- Knowledge of and ability to work within a global corporate environment is required.
- Must travelinternationally and be able to acquire all necessary travel documents. Travel up to 10%.
Equal Opportunity Employer
OSI Systems, Inc. has three operating divisions: (a) Security, providing security and inspection systems, turnkey security screening solutions and related services; (b) Healthcare, providing patient monitoring, diagnostic cardiology and anesthesia systems; and (c) Optoelectronics and Manufacturing, providing specialized electronic components and electronic manufacturing services for the Security and Healthcare divisions, as well as to external original equipment manufacturer clients for application in the defense, aerospace, medical and industrial markets, among others.