The SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory at Stanford University has an exciting opportunity for recent graduates of Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
The LINAC Coherent Light Source II project needs several talented engineers to help integrate the wide range of electronic systems used to monitor and control the accelerator and experimental devices of our newest X-Ray LASER.
These devices range from high speed diagnostics to complex industrial control and automation systems. From sensors to actuators these systems need to be deployed, tested and commissioned on our 3.5 km long particle accelerator complex.
As part of the Accelerator Directorate’s Electronics Engineering team you will be asked to partner withexperienced engineering staff to develop and deploy these diverse systems.
This work may include programming industrial controllers, developing input output computers and user interfaces, testing and debugging field devices, writing test plans and reports as well as interfacing with other members of our team and senior management.
We’re looking for highly motivated engineers with a strong desire to learn and a commitment to excellence while at the same time being able to manage complexity in a dynamic environment.
Responsibilities may include:
- Test and debug field devices using applicable test equipment. This may include ATCA based high performance systems, RF control systems, PLC based industrial controls, Motion control systems, Ultra-High Vacuum Systems, Cryogenic Control Systems, Personnel Protection Systems and others.
- Development and testing of computer controls.
- Development and testing of User Interfaces.
- Documenting and analyzing test results.
- Present issues found in the field to your team.
- Recommending process changes to improve efficiency.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science, or related disciplines or other technical specialty, or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some experience in testing and debugging field devices and test equipment.
- Familiarity with the development and testing of computer controls and User Interfaces.
- Solid understanding of electrical/electronic engineering principles.
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to adjust and adapt to changing work priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to synthesize complex technical and scientific information.
SLAC Employee Competencies:
- Effective Decisions: Uses job knowledge and solid judgment to make quality decisions in a timely manner.
- Self-Development: Pursues a variety of venues and opportunities to continue learning and developing.
- Dependability: Can be counted on to deliver results with a sense of personal responsibility for expected outcomes.
- Initiative: Pursues work and interactions proactively with optimism, positive energy, and motivation to move things forward.
- Adaptability: Flexes as needed when change occurs, maintains an open outlook while adjusting and accommodating changes.
- Communication: Ensures effective information flow to various audiences and creates and delivers clear, appropriate written, spoken, presented messages.
- Relationships: Builds relationships to foster trust, collaboration, and a positive climate to achieve common goals.