Electronic Systems Architect
Located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Our client is seeking an Electronic Systems Architect located in their World HQ's. The Electronic Systems Architect is responsible for the architecture and integration of electronic systems into floor care products, including robotic vacuum products. This person will have Systems Engineering experience in defining and architecting electronic systems that include embedded PCBAs, loads, sensors, motors, batteries, power supplies, connectivity and user interfaces. The candidate is expected to have experience in developing requirements, architecting an electronic system using SysML and/or UML modeling languages, and the allocation of product functions to a physical architecture to create an optimized electronics solution. Analysis and evaluation of hardware, firmware, and software will be required to provide guidance and recommendations to strategic decisions related to products implementing the electronics architecture. In addition to being an individual contributor, the candidate will be expected to work with internal and external contributors, both foreign and domestic in origin.
- Key role in new and existing product development projects as architect and systems integrator of electronic systems into new floor care products.
- With some oversight, define and approve overall electronics architecture and technology choices with particular foresight to future products and creating and/or staying within the overall electronics strategy.
- Collaborate with internal electronics and IT development teams as well as partner with external design resources to achieve and deliver a complete electronic system.
- Utilize and demonstrate proficiency in electronic systems engineering to develop requirements and specifications for hardware and software systems that can be integrated into products as well as with the connected home.
- Utilize hardware and software design resources to create and evaluate electrical schematics, PCBA layouts, firmware architecture, firmware code, and communication protocols.
- Work closely with product development engineers to integrate the mechanical aspects of the product into the overall floor care product design.
- Work closely with compliance engineers to obtain product approvals for electronic systems, if applicable, and approvals of the overall product that are dependent on electronics.
- Provide knowledge and guidance for quality improvement and cost reduction projects involving electronic systems within floor care products.
- The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in engineering fundamentals, proven verbal and written communication capabilities, organizational, and project management skills. Failure mode effect analysis and/or risk analysis is desired.
- Degree minimum: Bachelor's degree in EE or CE (Master's preferred)
- Specific concentration: Broad understanding of embedded systems technology including electronic PCBAs, loads, sensors, motors, batteries, power supplies, connectivity and user interfaces is required. Experience in systems engineering discipline developing requirements and defining system architecture using SysML/UML is also needed to be successful.
- Experience level: 7+ years minimum in software, electrical, or systems engineering
- Embedded System Experience: Understanding of microcontroller based PCBA and firmware design, distributed systems, safety critical systems, and the definition of communication and power interfaces.
- Battery Systems: Experience with lithium ion battery packs and charging systems.
- Connectivity: Experience working with wired and/or wireless communication protocols.
- Machine Control Technologies: Experience in developing embedded systems to drive loads such as motors, pumps and fans. Experience in developing sensor-based product features with infrared, ultrasonic, capacitive, or RF sensing technologies.
- User Interface Technologies: Experience in developing embedded user interfaces including technologies such as LCD display, LED lighting, capacitive touch, and audio.
- Robotics: Understanding of automation and navigation technologies. Experience in developing feedback control systems and related algorithms. Vision systems a plus.
- Systems Analysis: Familiarity with trade studies in system design based on constrained resources. Experience in system performance simulation using tools and languages like Python and Matlab.