Calnetix is a growing engineering and manufacturing company located in Southern California. We are making a positive contribution to society and the environment by helping to change the way the world harvests and utilizes energy. We enable OEMs across a wide range of industries to enhance and differentiate their current products and to innovate toward creating new products and markets. In partnership with OEMs, we utilize our innovative, high-speed motor generator technologies to help meet industry demand for more energy-efficient products that reduce energy consumption, reduce harmful emissions and enhance energy security We are currently seeking a versatile mechatronics engineer to join the Magnetic Bearing Technology group, with primary responsibilities to include electrical hardware design, dynamics analysis, prototype testing, and field support. Special consideration will be given to those with a background in magnetic bearings, digital and analog hardware design, rotor dynamics, vibrations, controls, and/or mechatronics. The ideal candidate will possess leadership/teamwork skills, a positive attitude, and a willingness to listen to and learn from others.
• Perform rotor dynamic modelling with XLROTOR and Calnetix Matlab® suite of rotor dynamics and controls analysis tools.
• Develops electrical control hardware by studying customer requirements, modelling electrical systems, and developing test procedures for new hardware
• Use Matlab® to analyze stability and performance of magnetic bearing control system loops, and to design compensators that ensure robust performance.
• Conduct final tuning on the control algorithms based on transfer function measurement, sensor signal time history and power spectrum – in the shop and in the field.
• Participate in design of new magnetic bearing systems for new applications/machines. Specify requirements for Magnetic bearing control hardware components such as DSP controller, PWM amplifiers, and power supplies; create the system level wiring diagram
• Become familiar with C/C++ Digital Signal Processing (DSP) based magnetic bearing control code.
• Develop and conduct training sessions to field service engineers, test engineers, and technicians
• Interface with internal and external customers, where required, for field service/ applications/ product support
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Masters or PhD in EE or ME required.
• Familiarity with magnetic bearing controller hardware components (DSP controller, PWM amplifiers, and power supplies)
• Experience with digital and analog hardware design • Understanding of PWM switching power amplifier design
• Knowledge of dynamics analysis, especially for rotating machinery (rotor dynamics)
• Understanding of control algorithm design for closed-loop control systems a plus
• Understanding of magnetic bearing principles and applications a plus
• Experience with machine-level magnetic bearing system testing and troubleshooting a plus
• Experience with writing software for Digital Signal Processing (DSP) a plus