SubCom is seeking an experienced Electro-Optic Test Engineer to join a multidisciplinary organization dedicated to the development, manufacture and deployment of high reliability transoceanic undersea communication systems. As an R&D Electro-Optics Engineer you will be an integral member of the new products development team bridging the space between prototype concepts and final delivery of products meeting requirements for the harsh undersea environment.
We seek candidates with the desire to learn, who want to be challenged, like to work hard and thrive in a working environment with similarly motivated people. Our ideal candidate is ambitious, self-directed, independent, possesses a wide variety of skills in the lab, and has demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner widely across diverse organizations to bring people together.
- The successful candidate will partner with other electro-optic engineers through all phases of New Product Development and be responsible for translating system, product and firmware requirements with other product design inputs into certification testing requirements, test methods, test set designs, and test software requirements for integration into the manufacturing process.
- During initial phases of product development, the candidate will collaborate with other design engineers in the laboratory to conceive, set-up and run experiments that verify new fiber optic amplifier and ROADM equipment designs and firmware operation. The candidate will devise and refine accurate and reliable electro-optic test methods, test systems and procedures. This work will involve data acquisition equipment/platforms and test equipment and the use of software for test automation. Later in the design phase, the candidate will lead efforts to transfer new product designs, design knowhow, test methods, software and certification requirements into our manufacturing center, while collaborating with production engineers to drive test yield improvements and test time reduction activities.
- This position will require considerable troubleshooting skills of both hardware and software at all phases of the product realization process and the ability to produce detailed test plan documentation.
- This position reports to the Senior Director of Certification Testing in R&D
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience):
- Graduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related degree, or 5+ years of relevant work experience
Essential Job skills include the following:
- Knowledge of fiber optic amplifiers, ROADMs, lasers, communication systems,
- Hands-on experience with optical and electrical test methods, including optical fiber splicing, optical connectors, programmable optical power meters, attenuators, and switches, optical spectrum analyzers, digital multi-meters and oscilloscopes
- Ability to analyze measurement data to extract parameters and performance metrics,
- Familiarity with quality processes for developing, manufacturing and testing high reliability products including characterization and calibration processes, and error of measurement studies for test equipment,
- Ability to multitask, good organizational skills, computer literacy, and a demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation, planning, organization and facilitation skills
- Previous experience in developing test and measurement solutions for electrical and optical components or subsystems, qualifying new products or test systems for manufacture, supporting new product introduction to manufacturing, developing software interfaces for automated test equipment, debugging complex test systems, developing software in windows and/or Linux environments, use of C/C++, Matlab, LabView, LabWindows/CVI, TestStand, familiarity with Oracle, Jira, Aras are also strongly desirable capabilities.
- Candidates must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Frequent travel between our locations in Portsmouth, NH and Eatontown, NJ will be expected.