The Electro-Mechanical & Automation Engineer supports the repair and preventative maintenance of Facility and Manufacturing equipment. Provides support to the Operations Maintenance and Process Engineering teams. This position is responsible for maintaining an Operations role in support of Manufacturing, R&D and Process Engineering Departments, that bring innovative, high-quality, cost-effective products to target markets to satisfy customer requirements.
Works closely with Maintenance to improve Overall Equipment Effectiveness by ensuring we use the proper technology to support our high-volume production of extruded products.
Design and analyze electro mechanical and pneumatic parts, systems, equipment to achieve to achieve our operational goals of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
Must have extensive experiencetroubleshooting, repairing, and upgrading electro-mechanical and pneumatic systems and programming PLC’s. Must have expert working knowledge with HMI’s and Controls and automated equipment.
Develops and maintains an effective engineering control systems for tracking results and measuring costs on approved projects. Provides hands-on process improvements for automated equipment
Maintains a close working relationship with Process and R&D Departments:
Assists Process with the transfer of new products through the development stage to prototype and full production
Provides Engineering support to sustain on-going manufacturing operations as existing products are upgraded
Ensure all existing and new equipment meets Safety standards.
Provides hands on support for manufacturing processes on a day to day basis. Must have good working knowledge and comprehension of molded/extruded plastics
Knowledge and understanding of varying legacy and modernized technology and equipment interfaces, drive mechanisms, motors, solenoids, encoders, guides, clutches, pulleys, bowl feeders, vacuum systems, brakes, chillers, heaters, vales bearings, lubrication. PLC programming is required.
Must have the ability to conduct testing and diagnose equipment for water and air pressure, electricity, and heat.
Work with vendors and consultants to solve a problem or upgrade equipment.
Present cost reduction opportunities in maintenance, spare parts, energy consumption, and the hiring of potential new vendors.
Integrates technical requirements to create high level electro mechanical solutions.
Must write standard work to sustain all processes and changes established via SOP’s, diagrams, layouts.
Basic understanding of Lean Tools and basic understanding of industrial engineering, layouts, time studies, takt time, metrics calculation, statistics, PDCA
Suggest Improvements to our PM procedures and TPM. Use of SMED to reduce set up time
The position Reports to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Interfaces with all Managers at divisional level, Managers and Supervisors within Operations as well as line operators and other operations staff.
May at times coordinate and communicate with specific Corporate contacts; legal, patents, technology, and insurance. Communicates on a regular basis with Customers and Vendors.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, highly desirable or B.S in Electro-Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering also acceptable.
2) Experience: At least 7-10 years of progressive manufacturing engineering or repair work experience. At least five to six years of engineering and repair work and strong experience in project management. Candidates must have at least 3-5years of experience in pneumatics, PLCs, HMIs, machinery automation and schematics' reading
3) Training: Ability to transcend the technology/business barrier and be a new equipment champion and major contributor to the future of the Ag Business. Demonstrated ability to promote consensus and acceptance of new products. Strong ability to use a computer and standard business software.
4) Mathematical Skills: Understand and use statistical process control techniques, understand balance sheets and basic engineering and manufacturing measurement systems.
5) Reasoning Ability: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to effectively manage a technical operation.
6) Certificates/Licenses: None required.
7) Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. When performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required: From 2/3 or more of the time, talks or hears; from 1/3-2/3 of the time, sits; up to 1/3 of the time, stands, walks, uses hands to handle or feel; the employee may also move objects weighing up to 30 lbs.