Onto Innovation is a leader in process control, combining global scale with an expanded portfolio of leading-edge technologies that include: 3D metrology spanning the chip from nanometer-scale transistors to micron-level die-interconnects; macro defect inspection of wafers and packages; metal interconnect composition; factory analytics; and lithography for advanced semiconductor packaging. Our breadth of offerings across the entire semiconductor value chain helps our customers solve their most difficult yield, device performance, quality, and reliability issues. Onto Innovation strives to optimize customers’ critical path of progress by making them smarter, faster and more efficient.
The mission of the Electrical Systems Engineer is to support process design and release to production of new metrology instruments for optical metrology tools. Projects range in complexity from process and procedure improvements to design of fixtures to qualify critical parts performance to introduction of new product releases. Finally, troubleshooting of system performance specification gaps and constant improvement of quality all in demonstration of corporate commitments to continuous product & process improvements.
Organization: The immediate organization consists of approximately 15 professionals involving multiple disciplines.
Roles and Responsibilities: The Electrical Systems Engineer will have a focus on the metrology system and the processes that go into the construction, validation and verification of its performance
- Seek opportunities for improvements in manufacturing operations efficiencies to improve yield, cycle time and cost of production
- Design and conduct experiments to characterize, troubleshoot, and improve complex optical metrology systems
- Assemble, align, and calibrate systems
- Design and build test fixtures for component and subsystem testing
- Composition of procedures or BKMs for construction or qualification of assembly
- Work with software to examine code, and write software requirements for system test functions
- Work with manufacturing and QC to improve testing, troubleshooting protocols, and alignment of parts, components, subassemblies and final assemblies
- Work with engineering to understand new designs and enable transition into high volume manufacturing
- Innovative thinker capable of new and fresh ideas for problem solving.
Required Education and Experience:
- Must have 15+ years of increasingly responsible engineering and product development management experience in leading high-tech companies preferably engaged in the manufacture of advanced semiconductor equipment.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering (Electrical a plus) or related technical (or equivalent knowledge) and 5+ years directly related experience
- Background in development of optical inspection-based equipment a plus
- Detailed, structured, and process oriented with experience in operating within a product lifecycle process
- Experienced working with key module and component suppliers
- Experienced in developing equipment with external partners to coordinate and collaborate total system requirements and objectives
- Strong sense of urgency, discipline and accountability
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to resolve personnel conflicts communicate and influence across all levels of the organization
- Strong problem solving, technical skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate, quantitative, and timely analysis
- Exceptional oral, interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Out of the box thinker with creative solutions