Conduct construction estimating, budgeting and bidding for assigned projects. Interact with the architects, clients; business development and operations staff to ensure a clear understanding of project scope, project objectives, schedules, and other information. Develop hard bids or negotiated work pricing proposals in response to specific proposal requests. Obtain all needed cost information from reliable subcontractors and material suppliers to meet project requirements. Maintains contact with subcontractors to ensure ample supply of subcontractor resource availability and materials for upcoming projects.
- Scope and review project scope and contract documents, plans and architectural drawings; prepare labored quantity take-offs on assigned projects.
- For negotiated work, ensure a complete review of project scope, plans, and drawings. Identify items that have been omitted and ensure appropriate accounting for such items in overall estimate package that represents the full scope of the project.
- Share information about reliable subcontractors and suppliers with other Estimators. Develop and maintain effective working relationships so the needs of Structure Tone and its clients can be met.
- Solicit approved subcontractor bids for assigned projects.
- Follow approved estimating practices consistent with corporate guidelines. Ensure such practices result in the most complete estimates possible while ensuring the financial objectives are met.
- Maintains current information on trends in and changes to existing construction codes and client specifications in order to ensure code compliant and complete bids from subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Utilizes appropriate software programs to calculate, record, and track estimates.
- Attends client meetings to discuss estimates, answering any questions and resolving any issues regarding pricing and estimates throughout duration of project.
- Provides change order pricing, site visits, bid delivery, and collaboration with teams for other departments.
- Prepares estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data for effect cost reductions.
- Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
Background and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree in Construction Engineering or Management or equivalent work experience is required plus 6-10 years of general construction estimating experience. Well-developed estimating, communications, financial analysis, budgeting, purchasing, negotiation and computer skills are required.
- Analytical Skills – Demonstrated ability to gather, relate, and compare data from different sources, ensure data is reliable, complete and accurate. Fully capable in questioning incomplete data on complex construction projects.
- Communications – Demonstrated ability to speak, write, and listen in a manner that commands attention and respect. Demonstrated skill at listening and understanding the needs of others.
- Decision Making – Ability to analyze variables and contingencies, evaluate circumstances, assess potential outcomes, and develop a logical and timely solution that is consistent with the needs of the situation.
- Estimating – Demonstrates strong ability to accurately develop complete labor, material, and other costs associated with the full execution of various construction projects that balance cost effectiveness with client satisfaction.
- Financial Analysis – Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze construction cost and financial data; ability to use financial data to make accurate change order, project schedule, general conditions, and otherbusiness decisions.
- Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills – Strong ability to forge solid working, trusting, and partnering relationships with subcontractors, vendors and internal staff. Communicating data, position, or arguments in a manner that gains acceptance or agreement to reach intended outcome. Seeks a win-win solution. Humility and respect for others is considered highly valuable. Ability to accept constructive criticism or coaching is also highly regarded.
- PC Skills – Demonstrated experience and competence in office productivity tools such as Word, Excel and MS Project. Demonstrated experience in estimating and otherconstructionproject management software such as Off Center, Take Off, and Construction Information Network.
- Self-Starter – Demonstrated skill at accomplishing own work without the need for close supervision. Takes action based on urgency, client needs, and the needs of the firm without always having to ask someone for guidance.
- Time Management – Demonstrated ability and success in accomplishing tasks by established deadlines; demonstrated discipline in using time management tools and techniques to effectively multitask when needed.
All candidates must pass a pre employment physical examination, drug / alcohol screen, hold a valid driver’s license, pass a motor vehicle record check and be insurable through KSI’s insurance carrier, criminal background check and E-verify as a condition of successful consideration for employment.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and work in harsh weather for long periods of time. Depending on the phase of the job, all personnel are required to work in conditions where physical demands can consist of placing one’s body in various positions to inspect and to accomplish certain tasks such as:
· Raising and Lowering objects from one level to another
· Carrying objects, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder
· Grasping objects with the use of fingers, palm and wrists to hold/and or manipulate objects (hammers, saws, pencils, pens etc,)
· Pulling i.e. Exerting force upon an object so that the object moves toward the force (includes jerking)
· Pushing i.e. Exerting force upon an object so that the object moves away from the force (includes slapping, striking, kicking and treadle actions)
· Bending at the waist, stooping, working in a supine position, twisting seated or standing
Some of these physical requirements will range from seldom, frequent to constant depending on the task.