Job Overview and Responsibilities
Hand’s on, experienced Electrical Engineer to support a Chemical Manufacturing facility at a Niagara Falls, Ontario location . Minimum of 10 years progressive work experience required. Primary responsibilities will be to provide ownership and oversight of the site’s electrical distribution systems (115 KV utility feeders through 600V) and lead capital project installation and maintenance activities in these areas. Additionally, the role provides support to other on-site Capital Project managers and to the Site’s maintenance staff. Compliance with all codes, standards and safe work requirements is a core expectation for this position.
Reports to: Site Engineering Manager
Direct reports: none; interacts with other Project Engineers and the Site Maintenance Team
Primary Responsibilities (Specific areas of experience desired in order of priority)
- High Voltage distribution system: Responsible to ensure proper installation, operation and maintenance of the site’s electrical distribution system (including 115 KV source feeders; 13 KV and 4.2KV internal distribution systems and 600V motor control centers). Also includes emergency back-up power from two installed Diesel Generator systems. This individual is the primary interface with the local electric power supplier (Hydro One) and IESO.
- Candidates should have a demonstrated understanding of the requirements for electrical systems compliant with Section 18 of the Canada Electrical Code (installations in Hazardous Areas). System reliability is a key requirement to support the chemical manufacturing process.
- This position has lead responsibility for the planning, scheduling, site wide communication and executing the routine (18 month) full plant electrical outage. During this outage all necessary inspections, maintenance and repairs on the electrical distribution system utilizing both contractor personnel and on-site maintenance staff are completed.
- Execute Capital projects in this or related areas. Able to act as overall project manager to install upgrades or improvements. This includes oversight of design, procurement and construction activities for electrical projects. The site is currently evaluating a project to significantly upgrade the Main Switchgear system for electrical feeders (estimated value at greater than $2Million). The selected candidate would have primary responsibility to oversee the installation of this upgrade project.
- Also, able to support other project managers in the areas of electrical design, construction, start up and commissioning.
- Knowledge of Process Controls and Instrument systems: In this facility the majority of the rotating equipment is operated through a Distributed Control system and applicant must understand the interface between the control system and the electrical equipment. Additionally, the applicant must have some working knowledge of digital instrumentation systems (specifications, standard system design and troubleshooting)
- Supports Site Maintenance team in the area of troubleshooting or preparing and completing Preventative Maintenance activities.
- As part of annual Capital Budgeting process, makes proposals for areas of upgrade or operational improvement.
Education and Experience
- 4 Year degree in Electrical or Electric Power Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant direct experience.
- Experience must be in a facility operated to world class standards in the areas Safety, Health and Environment as they pertain to electrical safety, maintenance work and use of contractors;
- Have utilized a Maintenance Management System (Maximo or SAP) for work orders, procurement and to document preventative maintenance activities
- Have additional direct experience with the following Distributed Process Control Systems
- Siemens APACs
- Emerson Delta V®
- Have directly supervised maintenance department or electrical department teams.
- Have experience in start-up and commissioning new systems or units and communicating with the broader site team that may be impacted by these activities.