IPS is hiring! We are looking for a talented Electrical Engineer II to join our industry leading Electrical Engineering team based out of our Morrisville, NC office location.
The Electrical Engineer II assists in planning, designing and directing electrical engineering projects within the Design Department. Assignments contain specific tasks on project teams and the Electrical Engineer is expected to use their education, creativity and expertise to resolve the engineering problems and tasks as assigned. However, more experienced staff will always be available to help the Engineer when needed.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares design computations and quantity estimates and develops probable construction cost estimates for the smaller, less complex projects within the business unit (medium voltage power distribution, low voltage systems, fire alarm systems, backup power generation, electrical power distribution, life safety systems, etc.).
- Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents (AutoCAD, Revit, etc.).
- Modifies reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies and designs for project.
- Makes calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design such as lighting calculations, power distribution calculations, equipment sizing, etc.
- Creates specialized drawings such as electrical riser diagrams.
- Selects equipment based on recommendations of Project Designer/Engineer and fills out equipment schedules.
- Provides drawing for own designs and produces sketches to incorporate in drawings by drafters.
- Researches design options and document findings for Project Designer/Engineer.
- Keeps Project Manager informed of work load and any changes in project scope or additional services. Provides information to Project Manager for incorporation into specifications.
- Researches code issues and ask general questions of code officials.
- Organizes and maintains project files. Maintains a neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to information required by other team members.
- Assures that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
- Special projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum of 5 years previous engineering/design experience in the building design industry (for example: lighting systems, fire alarm systems, branch circuitry, etc.).
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited four-year College or University.
- Registered professional engineer (PE) is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in computer operation for engineering design programs and computer aided drafting (AutoCAD).
- General knowledge of Electrical system design and applicable codes.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY
- Travel based on the project location.
- This position is a safety sensitive position. The employee is designated for field work and attends activities at client sites where they work in construction, process, packaging, manufacturing, research or other "non-administrative" areas.