The Engineer will report directly to the Vice President of Research and Development (R&D) and will lead various strategic initiatives rooted in R&D and product commercialization. The right candidate will bolster our engineering team(s) with project management tools and process discipline (stage gate approach) along with the engineering expertise from concept-to-commercialization. In some cases, initiatives resulting in new product or new capability can take a year or more to bring to the market, therefore a strong passion for timely deliverables and accountability is a must.
The candidate will provide project accountability, oversight and management for assigned projects and initiatives sanctioned in our engineering division (i.e. R&D, Engineering, Commercialization). He/she will assist engineering and/or development team(s) with the delivery of project requirements (e.g. financial evaluation and/or justification(s); development of project milestones; assignment of roles/responsibilities and management of the timelines to accelerate project deliverables).
The Engineer must be a servant leader that is able to coach and facilitate teams using many tools, but most appreciated is influence management. The individual will be responsible for developing project plans (e.g. resources, timeline, budgets, etc.) with project team and, therefore, must have the ability to anticipate risks and create plans to mitigate. He/she will work with stakeholders to eliminate obstacles that prevent the team from producing valuable output. He/she will keep project sponsors and appropriate executive management informed of project costs and progress and will coordinate with vendors, consultants, and other internal departments to achieve desired project outcomes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Capture and articulate the project requirements in collaboration with respective project teams (e.g. financial(s); timelines; deliverables; milestones; etc.)
- Create complete controls systems for all new equipment, including programming.
- Work with electrical engineers to design/specify controls hardware
- Must possess a demonstrated understanding of motion controls, instruments and instrumentation
- Experience troubleshooting mechanical, hydraulic and other electro-mechanical systems
- Foster collaboration amongst broader technical teams across Herzog
- Lead, participate, assist with engineering initiatives ranging from new capabilities to new products to application solutions through launch and full commercialization
- Initiate regularly scheduled project meetings to review priorities, milestones, directional adjustments
- Establish the methodologies for product and process design improvements for both internal and external customers
- Manage resource capacity plan, budget, and drive delivery of the projects
- Develop, manage, and control the project plan/schedule using appropriate tools.
- Advanced ability to ensure that effective project controls are in place to monitor project or program performance
- Provide regular status to key stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited program in Engineering discipline (e.g. ME, CE, EE, etc.) or higher required or equivalent experience.
- Must have 5-10 years of experience in Engineering or a closely related field.
- Experience in railroad or heavy equipment industries is preferred.
- Experience with CoDeSys or similar platforms is highly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial controls development, including ladder diagrams, RSLogix 500 and 5000, and FactoryTalk View Studio
- Experience with CAN protocols (J1939, CANopen, etc) is a plus
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Vault, and 3D modeling is a plus.
- Must be motivated individual with strong analytical, problem solving, and root cause analysis skills. Logical, process-oriented thinker.
- Must have ability to work on multiple, time-critical projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication required, including presentation of complex data in easily understood ways and strong data visualization skills.
- Ability to confidently interact at multiple levels in the organization and lead cross-departmental team projects required.
- A natural curiosity about technology is a bonus.
- Proficiency at using Microsoft Office - Word, PowerPoint, Project, and Excel (including creation of charts, functions, tables, macros, pivot tables and pivot charts).
- Solid organization, detail-oriented and capable of self-managing.
- Very good documentation skills (i.e. roles and responsibilities, stakeholder analysis, project plans, status reporting).
- Ability to articulate, manage and mitigate risks and issues to successful resolution
- Willing to travel to unique geographies in North America. The railroad is everywhere!
- Pass and maintain e-RAILSAFE pre-employment background check and safety certification.
- Subject to motor vehicle report review.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and endorsements as required per position.
- Pass pre-employment physical, medical evaluation, and drug screen due to the safety sensitive nature of this position
- Successfully complete/maintain any required safety certification and testing on an annual basis.
- Say goodbye to your old (boring) engineering job!
The physical demands described below must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this role. This position will be physically demanding at times.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently.
- Requires walking or standing to a significant degree: or requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls.
- Must be physically able to climb onto heavy equipment, railcars, and otherwise – unconventional office environment.
- Herzog is nationally recognized for its excellent safety record which results from all employees at all levels, in all positions adhering to established policies and procedures. Reporting any and all safety violations to your immediate supervisor is a prerequisite for continued employment. Safety vigilance by all, results in a safe work environment for all.
- Herzog offers a robust benefits package including medical and dental coverage. The plans are specific to projects and locations.